Denmark Seatrout Fishery

DimeBrite

5X Celebrity Jeopardy Champion

The island of Fyn (Funen) Denmark has been working hard to improve its Seatrout fishery for locals and tourists. They have published guidebooks, information signs at various beaches and estuaries to help traveling anglers. The local population of Fyn works on hatchery programs, spawning stream restoration, and preparing resources for fishing tourists. The tactics and equipment are the same as we use for our Puget Sound angling. I would love to spend a couple weeks fly fishing their beaches for big Seatrout and exploring the area. They can get much bigger than our searun cutthroat! The Danes on Fyn realize the economic benefit of healthy fisheries, something that western Washington seems to have forgotten.

Last edited:

tallguy

I was in northern norway in 2018 and fished some in the salt there off the beach, basically for anything that swims. I saw and cast to at least a couple in the 3-6 lb range, but never got them to turn or follow or show any interest in my junk. The water is nice and clear, they were easy to see cruising the coast when the wind dropped. Didn't use a guide or try seriously, I was probably using the wrong style of fly. Mostly I caught sei and cod.

DimeBrite

Shrimp and marine worm flies seem popular. Seatrout can be extremely selective to say the least.

jaredoconnor

WFF Supporter
Bombarda fishing is popular in Scandinavia. It's basically a fly and bubble setup, on steroids. I've been meaning to give it a try around here, for SRC and Coho. It seems like it would be very effective.

Chucker

Chucking a dead parrot on a piece of string!
It’s something of an over hyped fishery, or at least it was when I was there 20 years ago. Fish populations were not very high to start with, and there was extensive gill netting. Gill net permits were given out in unlimited numbers for recreational/subsistence fishing, so if the fish populations improved, the number of nets increased, and the fish numbers went down again. There were still some fish to catch, but you really had to work for them.

DerekWhipple

I follow a few euro "sea trout" related accounts on instagram for SRC fly ideas (lots of cool shrimp flies). The fish do get much bigger. It does look like a low numbers game, but maybe the real possibility of a 5+lb seatrout on a 6 weight keeps you going back.

I also follow some guys in Denmark on Instagram that fish for searun brown trout. Looks like a blast and would be very cool to do it sometime. Average size is much bigger than our searun cuts!!

Last edited:
I also follow some guys in Denmark on Instagram that fish for searun brown trout. Looks like a blast and would be very cool to do it sometime. Average size is much bigger than our searun cuts!!
I also just ordered the book they mentioned in the video, which I found by Googling havørred guide fyn The shipping cost more than the book. About $60USD total. May be good reading, and until visit Denmark. I can dream !!! I am 50% Danish, but have only been to Iceland. There is something wrong with that !!

DimeBrite

I also just ordered the book they mentioned in the video, which I found by Googling havørred guide fyn The shipping cost more than the book. About $60USD total. May be good reading, and until visit Denmark. I can dream !!! I am 50% Danish, but have only been to Iceland. There is something wrong with that !!
Worth the cost if you do a trip over there.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts