NFR 2021 Baseball

long_rod_silvers

WFF Supporter
Come on, have some faith. Dipoto‘s move will make sense in a few days. Look at all the moves he has made in the past to bring us a playoff team. Oh, that’s right Dipoto has never created a playoff team of his own even when he worked for the Angels.
Not a lot of winners here. Mostly tinkering...

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
WFF Supporter
Oh, that’s right Dipoto has never created a playoff team of his own even when he worked for the Angels.
While true, that can also be said about every other GM before they created their first one. :)
I never caught a fish with a fly - until I did. (fishing tie-in for OMJ)

Canuck from Kansas

WFF Supporter
Danny Duffy "Bury me a Royal” traded to LA for the proverbial "player to be named later". Really sad to see him go, but it makes sense. The good part is, he grew up a Dodger fan and he may have a chance for his second WS championship. After all is said and done, he could resign with the Royals next winter.

cheers

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
The Dodgers, Red Sox, Yankees obviously are going for it based on trade deadline activity.
It will be interesting to see if the Mariners do the same. I doubt it, as they never have in the past.
SF

D3Smartie

As much as i hate to say it, selling the farm for a shot this year isnt the right call.
I would like to see more movement to compete and stick with it this year but i dont see them having any sort of deep run. If they can gain control and move some of the older and expiring contracts while staying in the wild card hunt, they should do it.
Eventually they will have to take a shot and go for it in the next 3 years.

Canuck from Kansas

WFF Supporter
The Mariners are in that "netherworld", 8 games back of first in their division, but only 2.5 back from a wildcard. Do you go "all in", depleting your system for rentals? What happens if it doesn't work? Yankees and Dodgers have the riches, they can buy players if it doesn't work. Red Sox are pretty much in the post season, lest they fall apart, but with their starting pitching and line-up, seems unlikely.

From what I can tell, the Mariners have improved their line-up with the last few moves, without breaking the bank. Royals did a similar thing, small moves in 2014, squeaked into the post season as a wildcard and made a run to Game 7 of the WS, then in 2015, "broke the bank" when they were way up in the Central standings and won the WS - Lots of folks in KC sounded like the current crop of Mariners fans, up until September / October 2014, then, well, Dayton Moore (GM) was a hero - it's been downhill since, but was worth it. Now with the young crop after rebuilding the minor league system, well, wait 'til next year ...

Patience grasshopper.

cheers

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
The Mariners are in that "netherworld", 8 games back of first in their division, but only 2.5 back from a wildcard. Do you go "all in", depleting your system for rentals? What happens if it doesn't work? Yankees and Dodgers have the riches, they can buy players if it doesn't work. Red Sox are pretty much in the post season, lest they fall apart, but with their starting pitching and line-up, seems unlikely.

From what I can tell, the Mariners have improved their line-up with the last few moves, without breaking the bank. Royals did a similar thing, small moves in 2014, squeaked into the post season as a wildcard and made a run to Game 7 of the WS, then in 2015, "broke the bank" when they were way up in the Central standings and won the WS - Lots of folks in KC sounded like the current crop of Mariners fans, up until September / October 2014, then, well, Dayton Moore (GM) was a hero - it's been downhill since, but was worth it. Now with the young crop after rebuilding the minor league system, well, wait 'til next year ...

Patience grasshopper.

cheers

What happens if it doesn’t work?
It’s hard to say based on the Mariners track record as I don’t really recall them ever going all in.
As far as cash, Seattle is the 12th rank I believe media market. Not on par with LA, Ny or Boston but not piss poor either......
Mariner ownership has never been willing to shell out big $$$ to try and win.
I do agree with D3, they are going to have to do so at some point or this current Mariner rebuild will just be a repeat of the past 20 years of futility.
SF

D3Smartie

There are going to be some big contracts heading out this coming off season. They could go get someone but is it worth it? i think they're really trying to follow the asstros model and build from within, rather than the Yankee/dodger model through acquisition.
So many questions right now.

Is Kelenic the guy? White? Lewis? Love what i am seeing from Torrenz but is way out of his norm? Would anyone take him? If Raleigh is the future catcher, then we can move some pieces. But reality is we have a lot of role players right now and very few names that other teams would like to add to make a stretch run. M's are a product of their own making and are going to have to ride it our for a bit.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts