NFR 2021 Baseball

Albula

swollen member
Got to think that management/ownership, after years of abysmal results, is hoping the fanbase will be satisfied and remain engaged by a product that approaches marginal relevance. Admittedly they are more fun to follow this year than during the recent past and some of the young guns are showing promise.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
A couple interesting takes on the Mariners trade deadline activity.
SF

On the one hand, we should probably grade the Seattle Mariners on a curve. They haven't made the playoffs since 2001, so this whole "try to get better at the trade deadline" concept is a new one.
On the other hand, you don't need to be an annual buyer to know it's not a great idea to improve a division rival that is ahead of you in the standings.
And yet, that's exactly what the Mariners did when they traded Kendall Graveman and Rafael Montero to the Houston Astros for Joe Smith and Abraham Toro.
Graveman had a 0.82 ERA and 10 saves and was clearly the most reliable arm in the Seattle bullpen, and relief pitching is perhaps the only thing that's kept Houston from running away with the AL West. And while Toro has homered in each of his first two games with the M's, they gave away their closer for a 37-year-old with a 7.48 ERA and a third baseman who was triple-slashing .193/.276/.350 in 308 career plate appearances.
It might have made some sense from a buy low/sell high perspective if general manager Jerry Dipoto hadn't acknowledged it didn't make much sense as a stand-alone deal.
Really, what doesn't make sense is the pair of trades the Mariners made, as they also got closer Diego Castillo from the Tampa Bay Rays for Austin Shenton and JT Chargois. In summation, they traded a closer and a late-inning reliever for a young third baseman and a middle reliever...and then traded a third base prospect and a middle reliever for a closer. And in the process, they helped a division rival.
To their credit, at least they now have a potential long-term solution at closer. Graveman will be a free agent this offseason, while Castillo won't hit free agency until after the 2024 season. However, it was still a head-scratching pair of moves.

Seattle Mariners: Seattle’s playoff hopes never looked especially good—this is a cardboard castle built on one-run wins—but its lack of deadline action still might have felt frustrating. The Mariners moved closer Kendall Graveman earlier this week in a trade that reportedly infuriated the clubhouse and promptly replaced him with Diego Castillo. Then they did … nothing. Which, sure, it wouldn’t have been smart to go in on rentals. But for players with a year and a half of team control, or more, this could have been a great chance to consider going in, and fans have every right to feel disappointed (again).

JACKspASS

I gave up on the M's along time ago. The latest trade has pretty much been the script for the last 20yrs, yawn......

lee c

The trick is to keep your expectations low, and enjoy it for what it is, cheap entertainment (if ya dont go to the games). I have enjoyed this team this year, I don't think there going anywhere, but they are fun to watch. So I cheer on the rookies, hope against better judgement that some of established players pull it together and keep my blinders on to the business side of the sport. I prefer to keep it a game. And who knows, perhaps Seager can raise his ba above the mendoza line.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
WFF Supporter
your optimism is overpowering, this must come from years of swinging for Steelhead .
It's not optimism. It's entertainment. When it's done, it's done and then I watch some other entertainment. The sun doesn't rise and set on the Mariners for me. They're just the local flavor, like the Seahawks.

The fact that people get so bent out of shape about them is pretty foreign to me since I didn't grow up with a local MLB team. It just seems like it's the "cool" thing to do ragging on the Mariners and touting that their record has been so shitty. So much so that even when they are playing some competitive ball they can't get a compliment. And then there's the internet GMs...

Jack MeHoff

It's not optimism. It's entertainment. When it's done, it's done and then I watch some other entertainment. The sun doesn't rise and set on the Mariners for me. They're just the local flavor, like the Seahawks.

The fact that people get so bent out of shape about them is pretty foreign to me since I didn't grow up with a local MLB team. It just seems like it's the "cool" thing to do ragging on the Mariners and touting that their record has been so shitty. So much so that even when they are playing some competitive ball they can't get a compliment. And then there's the internet GMs...
that's my gig it's entertainment, I'm more interested in individual players that what team they play for. mike trout is my favorite player right now

JACKspASS

It's apparent alot of Seattle baseball fans are good with a crappy product that isn't competitive. They like to watch a game, don't care what the score is or what place they are in the ALWest. Winning games, having a shot at the division title and repping the city in the playoffs or God forbid a WS doesn't matter. I'm innthe camp of, you play to win the game, and if something isn't working, shitcan the staff and management and start over. It is fun to go watch a winning team with great players club the M's into submission because I do appreciate MLB talent and a good, productive clubhouse, too bad they aren't located in Seattle.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts