NFR 2021 Baseball

Sportsman

If Dodgers win, the post season will be tough without Kershaw. I don’t care either way, just wanted a good game and it hasn’t disappointed.

Last edited:

IveofIone

WFF Premium
The new 1 game Wild Card playoff is the dumbest and sickest thing I have seen in sports. How did such a colossal brain fart ever become sanctioned? A one game playoff might work for football where they only play a handful of games but the MLB season is 162 games long-over 1,400 innings to get to the end and then to have your entire season hinge one game when you might have an umpire like Angel Hernandez calling the game is just cruel no matter what team you root for or hate. Having a 90 win team advance and sending a 100+ win team home after just 9 innings is cheating everyone. The fans deserve better and the teams that win the most games certainly deserve better. Is MLB getting to be like Little League now where we give trophies to the losers?

long_rod_silvers

WFF Premium
The new 1 game Wild Card playoff is the dumbest and sickest thing I have seen in sports. How did such a colossal brain fart ever become sanctioned? A one game playoff might work for football where they only play a handful of games but the MLB season is 162 games long-over 1,400 innings to get to the end and then to have your entire season hinge one game when you might have an umpire like Angel Hernandez calling the game is just cruel no matter what team you root for or hate. Having a 90 win team advance and sending a 100+ win team home after just 9 innings is cheating everyone. The fans deserve better and the teams that win the most games certainly deserve better. Is MLB getting to be like Little League now where we give trophies to the losers?
I would be a fan of re-seeding after the season and the teams with least wins play each other in 3 game series.

Yard Sale

Huge Member
Giants-Dodgers is going to be a good one. Division rivals that were even in games and runs until the final game this season. All the money in the world vs a band of misfits.
Edit: In head to head games.

how many post season match ups of 106+ win teams has there ever been?

Go Gigantes!

Last edited:

IveofIone

WFF Premium
I have been a Dodger fan since before most of you guys were born, I started following them in 1947 when I was 9 years old and the Dodgers were whacky as hell. I lived about halfway between Chicago and St Louis and played Little League baseball. Most of my teamates were either Chicago or St Louis fans and I decided to root for the Dodgers just to be ornery. It hasn't always been easy. The Frank McCourt days would try the allegiance of any fan as he has been noted as the worst owner in history.

I don't understand the hate for the Dodgers, they are probably the best organization in baseball along with St Louis. Let's face it-you M's fans would give your left nut to have an organization as good as the Dodgers to root for. Good players leave the M's and go elsewhere to become great. Many good and great payers gravitate towards LA.

I don't see the Dodgers repeating this year, they are just too beat up. Bellinger has been AWOL all year and that probably cost them at least 5 regular season games. Kershaw is basically done, his health woes continue to increase as he ages and the gopher ball has become his signature pitch. The Trevor Bauer fiasco exposed some poor judgement on the part of management to hire a certifiable asshole in the first place. The Giants look good, I expect them to win out and hope the World Series champ comes out of the National League West no matter who it is.

Yard Sale

Huge Member
I have been a Dodger fan since before most of you guys were born, I started following them in 1947 when I was 9 years old and the Dodgers were whacky as hell. I lived about halfway between Chicago and St Louis and played Little League baseball. Most of my teamates were either Chicago or St Louis fans and I decided to root for the Dodgers just to be ornery. It hasn't always been easy. The Frank McCourt days would try the allegiance of any fan as he has been noted as the worst owner in history.

I don't understand the hate for the Dodgers, they are probably the best organization in baseball along with St Louis. Let's face it-you M's fans would give your left nut to have an organization as good as the Dodgers to root for. Good players leave the M's and go elsewhere to become great. Many good and great payers gravitate towards LA.

I don't see the Dodgers repeating this year, they are just too beat up. Bellinger has been AWOL all year and that probably cost them at least 5 regular season games. Kershaw is basically done, his health woes continue to increase as he ages and the gopher ball has become his signature pitch. The Trevor Bauer fiasco exposed some poor judgement on the part of management to hire a certifiable asshole in the first place. The Giants look good, I expect them to win out and hope the World Series champ comes out of the National League West no matter who it is.
A good organization spending $60 million more than any other team this year. $100 million more than the Giants.

I'd be fibbing if I thought this one was 50-50. Adding Scherzer and Turner just isn't fair. Giants have the plucky team thing going(like their earlier runs) but that only gets you so far.

I dislike them since I'm a Giants fan. I grew up in the Lasorda years so its to be expected. He made a great villain.

Best baseball prank ever:

Lasodra.jpg

Gyrfalcon21

The picking up of Scherzer and T Turner at the deadline was really a total Yankees move and exactly why I am not happy with the Dodgers anymore (obviously a great move with Kershaw and Bauer going to be ziltches, talking myself into a hole there). I actually did not like the Giants move to get Kris Bryant either. He and Longoria are overrated and should get immediate bunting lessons from Belt...

Watch their stats in the next series. They suck->imho, and will hurt the team. Iffy defensive players both, and k- artists at the plate. Longoria is painful to watch.

Why the Dodgers don't start Chris Taylor every game is a dumb move..but I am ok with them doing so. He is always clutch.

Too bad LA and the Giants have to play this next round.
More genius MLB baseball planning. Same division, best records. How dumb.

Am happy for Ive and my brother tonight, that would have been crushing to lose that game. The Giants want the honor of slaying the Dodgers straight up, no help. Any team really wanting a championship should welcome the toughest draws. Always my take.

Last edited:

KerryS

Ignored Member
It is almost as stupid as putting a free runner on second during extra innings. MLB is going backwards.

duggiefresh

IIRC MLB playoff won’t use the free runner rule in extra innings. So they’re going backwards AND are inconsistent ;)

East Coaster

IIRC MLB playoff won’t use the free runner rule in extra innings. So they’re going backwards AND are inconsistent ;)
First, I absolutely hate the free runner concept. But I understand (and can accept) it as a way to avoid prolonged extra inning games during the pandemic, when rosters are stressed already. It makes sense to me that you wouldn't carry that into the playoffs, so I am happy about the inconsistency. I just hope that it doesn't become a permanent fixture. I'm afraid it will, though....:(

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts