NFR 2021 Baseball

BDD

I don't get excited like many baseball fans who count down the days till spring training and opening day so I guess I'm not considered a true fan. But I do enjoy playoff series baseball. And I don't have a single team I like rather I like many things about most teams, whether if be a current player, former player, current manager, former manager, certain stadiums, a mascot, or uniforms. But I probably like the Dodgers as much as any team.

I still recall the MASH episode as a kid when they parodied "the shot heard round the word", with the words ringing in my ears, "The Giants win the pennant" over and over. Man does that bring back some memories. The Giants may have won the pennant over the Dodgers in 1951, but they didn't do it in 2021.

Looking forward to the next round.

IveofIone

WFF Premium
As a Dodger fan for more than 7 decades I have had my share of disappointment. But my heart goes out to the Giants to have their splendid season end due to a gaffe by an umpire. They review damned near everything else in baseball now-why not the "half swing"? It was a strikeout that wasn't a strikeout and it will be talked about and shown over and over again for years. That umpire should be demoted to a Walmart greeter.

IveofIone

WFF Premium
I was listening to the game in 1951 when Branca gave up the gopher ball to Bobby Thompson. Having lived with that pain for 70 years I know how Giant's fans are feeling today. But at least that game was won by an extraordinary play and not by having Mr Magoo for a 1st base umpire. That ump will be forever stigmatized by his inept call much like Jim Joyce who ruined Armando Galarraga's perfect game back in 2010. These gaffes will haunt an umpire for years. And they should.

After an epic and thrilling pennant race and a nail biting 5 game playoff series that was still in doubt in the bottom of the ninth with two out and two strikes on the batter, it was a horrible way to end. An incompetent non-player makes a decisive call that sullies all of the great performances leading up to that point. The half swing is the most arbitrary call in all of sports and is wrong about 50% of the time. If baseball can't get it right-and they can't-it should be abandoned altogether. Even with the negotiable nature of the half swing call, the cameras showed that the call was not only bad but really bad. A quick review of the play would have revealed this and the game could have ended naturally. Now we will never know.

Sportsman

Give it a rest I’ve. Hope Boston sweeps, only thing I have ever liked about any Texass team are the cowboys cheerleaders

Swimmy

I love the sound guy for Fox Sports. Always playing Panic as they cut to commercial in between innings.

Just heard a little Ain't Life Grand. Great song.

Swimmy

Althea. I love this guy.

xyL7sZiv_o.gif

BDD

We have heard Ive's opinion on many things over the years...Mush mouth sportcasters and color commentators, the automotive industry including Toyota's braking system, tire centers and customer service in general, even the incessant winter weather on the tundra. But my post will disregard all that and focus on the recent posts about baseball umpires; yes there has been much opinion from Ive on this topic over the years, including the two recent posts above.

Here's my retort. Umpires, like referees in other sports are humans and make mistakes. They are not perfect. I can't image the amount of training and scrutiny they must go through to get to their jobs. I am amazed at how often they get things right, whether in football, baseball, or basketball (the sports I am most familiar with). We often complain about when they get it wrong but remember, they often make these calls on some of the most gifted athletes in the world, with world class speed and strength. They often have only a split second to see the play and make the call. It is only afterwards that we see the play in slow motion, from all kinds of different angles and then we wonder how they got it wrong? The umpires and referees did not have that advantage and benefit when they originally made the call.

As mentioned, the half swing is a difficult call to make, especially from over 90 feet away on a motion that is so quick that it looks like a blur. No, I don't blame the umpire on this call. From what I understand, the check swing is non-reviewable. If you want to be mad, I think the more appropriate blame would be at MLB for allowing something naturally difficult for humans to call and not be reviewable in such an important situation. While I generally believe that refs and umps do a pretty good job making calls in real time without the aid of slow motion and playback from multiple angles, it would not bother me a bit to let technology take on a bigger role moving forward to reduce the human error.

Statistically speaking, even if the check swing was called a ball, chances are the Giants still lose the game. But you are right...now we'll never know.

Yard Sale

Huge Member
We have heard Ive's opinion on many things over the years...Mush mouth sportcasters and color commentators, the automotive industry including Toyota's braking system, tire centers and customer service in general, even the incessant winter weather on the tundra. But my post will disregard all that and focus on the recent posts about baseball umpires; yes there has been much opinion from Ive on this topic over the years, including the two recent posts above.

Here's my retort. Umpires, like referees in other sports are humans and make mistakes. They are not perfect. I can't image the amount of training and scrutiny they must go through to get to their jobs. I am amazed at how often they get things right, whether in football, baseball, or basketball (the sports I am most familiar with). We often complain about when they get it wrong but remember, they often make these calls on some of the most gifted athletes in the world, with world class speed and strength. They often have only a split second to see the play and make the call. It is only afterwards that we see the play in slow motion, from all kinds of different angles and then we wonder how they got it wrong? The umpires and referees did not have that advantage and benefit when they originally made the call.

As mentioned, the half swing is a difficult call to make, especially from over 90 feet away on a motion that is so quick that it looks like a blur. No, I don't blame the umpire on this call. From what I understand, the check swing is non-reviewable. If you want to be mad, I think the more appropriate blame would be at MLB for allowing something naturally difficult for humans to call and not be reviewable in such an important situation. While I generally believe that refs and umps do a pretty good job making calls in real time without the aid of slow motion and playback from multiple angles, it would not bother me a bit to let technology take on a bigger role moving forward to reduce the human error.

Statistically speaking, even if the check swing was called a ball, chances are the Giants still lose the game. But you are right...now we'll never know.

Umps are also union employees. That’s why Joe West has called more games than anybody and has a terrible record.

The giants didn’t lose last night because of the ump. But man, if you don’t know then don’t make the call.

BDD

Umps are also union employees. That’s why Joe West has called more games than anybody and has a terrible record.

The giants didn’t lose last night because of the ump. But man, if you don’t know then don’t make the call.
Yeah, I knew they were union. I have no idea what type of performance evaluations they have, if any. I have supervised non-union and union personnel; I've been required to do performance evaluations on the former but never on the latter. When polled by players, Joe West has not done particularly well. Morales did not hesitate when making the call. From his quote below, there does not appear to be any indecisiveness.

From ump Gabe Morales, who made the final call: "Check swings are one of the hardest calls we have. I don't have the benefit of multiple camera angles when I'm watching it live. When it happened live, I thought he went, so that's why I called it a swing."

No matter the sport, calls will always be missed if humans are involved. The best we can hope for is they call them as they see them...and hope they have good vision.

Last edited:

Swimmy

Even if we had Acuna and Soroka, LA is the superior team. But proud of my Braves for hangin' around this long.

I could also listen to Smoltz for days. I always learn something when he's on the call.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts