NFR 2021 Mariners (or baseball thread)

Been watching the M's as much as I can this year (watching them right now!). They are off to a good start, lets hope they can keep it up. Bummed about Paxton, was looking forward to watching him pitch.

I grew up playing on traveling teams, All-Star teams, etc. That was a fun time of life, lots of great memories. Our 9 year old got invited to play on a club team this past winter. They practiced once a week all winter in an old chicken coop that has been turned in to batting cages and pitching mounds. The High School team uses it, along with a bunch of other various aged club teams.

That was all before if we knew we were going to have a Little League Season or not. I got nominated to be on our Little League board this past year as well. We were able to work with the Yakima Health District to get a season. Looks a little different than normal, but it is going well so far. I am also coaching my 9 yo Minors team. Lots of baseball right now!

Our club team had their first tourney this past weekend down in the Tri Cities. Fun to watch for sure. This was the first time they had all played togethor.

Some pics from the weekend. This is the kind of stuff I remember!
IMG_8257.jpg
20210417_191110.jpg
20210417_134143.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_8257.jpg
    IMG_8257.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210417_134143.jpg
    20210417_134143.jpg
    9.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210417_191110.jpg
    20210417_191110.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 3

long_rod_silvers

WFF Supporter
Been watching the M's as much as I can this year (watching them right now!). They are off to a good start, lets hope they can keep it up. Bummed about Paxton, was looking forward to watching him pitch.

I grew up playing on traveling teams, All-Star teams, etc. That was a fun time of life, lots of great memories. Our 9 year old got invited to play on a club team this past winter. They practiced once a week all winter in an old chicken coop that has been turned in to batting cages and pitching mounds. The High School team uses it, along with a bunch of other various aged club teams.

That was all before if we knew we were going to have a Little League Season or not. I got nominated to be on our Little League board this past year as well. We were able to work with the Yakima Health District to get a season. Looks a little different than normal, but it is going well so far. I am also coaching my 9 yo Minors team. Lots of baseball right now!

Our club team had their first tourney this past weekend down in the Tri Cities. Fun to watch for sure. This was the first time they had all played togethor.

Some pics from the weekend. This is the kind of stuff I remember!
View attachment 278977
View attachment 278979
View attachment 278981
Hell yeah!! That's awesome!

Gary Knowels

Batters are a bunch of winers (#1 Son was a pitcher); maybe if every swing wasn't for an HR and if they learned to go the other way, there wouldn't be so many strike-outs. Launch angles and exit velo are have taken on way too much importance. Days of the contact hitter will return.

cheers
I'm not sure that's it. Trevor Bauer (take him for what he is) does a good job through his social media of explaining how technology has helped pitchers become more and more effective at generating swings and misses. Super high speed cameras, rhapsodo, and other devices allow pitchers to manipulate their offerings to appear closer and closer to the same thing for the first half of a pitch's flight. Tunneling is making swing decisions so much harder, especially now that pitchers are "pitching, not just throwing" even as average velocity is higher than it has ever been. I think right now is the most difficult baseball has ever been for a hitter.

Canuck from Kansas

WFF Supporter
I'm not sure that's it. Trevor Bauer (take him for what he is) does a good job through his social media of explaining how technology has helped pitchers become more and more effective at generating swings and misses. Super high speed cameras, rhapsodo, and other devices allow pitchers to manipulate their offerings to appear closer and closer to the same thing for the first half of a pitch's flight. Tunneling is making swing decisions so much harder, especially now that pitchers are "pitching, not just throwing" even as average velocity is higher than it has ever been. I think right now is the most difficult baseball has ever been for a hitter.
Don't disagree, except what batters are being taught (via the similar technology) is counter to what is effective against what is going on with pitching, ie, uppercut swings, generating as much power as you can. You don't need power against a 95+ mph fastball with movement (you don't need a quadrophonic Blaupunkt) , you need a short, quick swing, any squared up contact will jump off the bat, ie, the pitch will generate power. That's not what is being taught. Sabermetrics, not all its cracked up to be.

These thing ebb and flow, remember, Baseball felt they had to lower the mound in response to Bob Gibson, Sandy Koufax, et al.

cheers

Last edited:

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts