NFR 2021 Mariners (or baseball thread)

Gary Knowels

Don't disagree, except what batters are being taught (via the similar technology) is counter to what is effective against what is going on with pitching, ie, uppercut swings, generating as much power as you can. You don't need power against a 95+ mph fastball with movement (you don't need a quadrophonic Blaupunkt) , you need a short, quick swing, any squared up contact will jump off the bat, ie, the pitch will generate power. That's not what is being taught. Sabermetrics, not all its cracked up to be.

These thing ebb and flow, remember, Baseball felt they had to lower the mound in response to Bob Gibson, Sandy Koufax, et al.

cheers
Definitely, I think they are approaching the limit of reaction time though. There is talk in some circles of moving the mound back. The experiments they are doing in the Cape Cod League are pretty interesting.

thatguyryry

Kelenic lit it up in Tacoma last night. Won't be long before he heads up North. Though whether that will be enough to help the dearth of hitting happening right now is at this point is not apparent.

Albula

swollen member
Unfortunately it appears that the M's are now experiencing the dreaded "regression towards the norm." It was fun while they had a bounce in their step.

duggiefresh

Agreed. Today was a bullpen day, and it’s over my head on managing pitchers. Huge bummer about Torrens error, and wish he had more awareness about the situation. Oh well!

Gary Knowels

Batters are a bunch of winers (#1 Son was a pitcher); maybe if every swing wasn't for an HR and if they learned to go the other way, there wouldn't be so many strike-outs. Launch angles and exit velo are have taken on way too much importance. Days of the contact hitter will return.

cheers
Check out what Theo Epstein had to say about the game and how it needs to change. Pretty interesting ideas.

Gary Knowels

Went to a Rainiers game today. AAA has a pitch clock, which 2as interesting. It really improved the flow and pacing. I think that could be a change the MLB makes in the next few years.

Old Man

A very Old Man
WFF Supporter
Well it's par for the "M's". I haven't watched a ball game yet this year. I have Dish and it sucks.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts