Sage XP 490-4 Guide Repair

ellis

Seeking advice or repair services for my Sage XP that I built several years ago. The guide near the middle ferrule tore out and though I have built several rods, I have have no experience repairing a guide and wrap like this. I have the thread and a spare guide. If you can advise me on how to repair this, I would be most appreciative. Can I 'cut' the old wrap? How do you remove the cut wrap cleanly for a new wrap? If anyone has the experience and is set up to do this repair, I would love to know how much you would charge for your services. Please advise! Thanks! IMG-3402.jpg

sroffe

Yup you will want to cut out the old wrap clean the blank and re wrap it. I found heating the epoxy a little before trying to cut the old wraps out makes it a whole lot easier. Sharp razor blade. I would just knick the thread to get one end and unwrap it. Careful cutting the entire thread out. Just get it started and the rest will come out easy.

It's easier that in looks, at least that is my experience.

ellis

Thanks guys! I'm very grateful for you advice and encouragement. I feel more confident I can do this myself.

So, how would you heat it carefully without damaging the blank? Do you use an open flame? I saw one Youtube video where a guy used a bic lighter and got the epoxy near smoking. It doesn't need to be that hot to be soft, correct? One more thing, I'm going to have to buy more epoxy so I'd welcome any recommendations you have. Last time I got everything for my last rod build was when Jimmy LeMert was just about ready to stop selling rod building materials from his shop. What do you guys prefer, Anglers Workshop or what?

veilside180sx

I use an alcohol torch but a lighter works fine. You’ll just heat the epoxy enough to where you can pull the thread off with your fingernail.

Canuck from Kansas

WFF Supporter
Problem with a Bic is it's not a clean flame - might not matter for what you are doing, but I would lean to alcohol or a heat gun (hair dryer might also get it hot enough).

cheers

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
I was in a similar situation.
I used the gentleman @Philonius rrcommended and was very happy with his work.
Super nice guy and located not far from you.
SF

tyler

Thanks, Brian, for the Snokist recommendation. I have a rod that I'd like to change the tip top on. Not broken but would like a larger size. Should be easy, right? But I'd rather have a pro do it.

Tyler

sroffe

Thanks guys! I'm very grateful for you advice and encouragement. I feel more confident I can do this myself.

So, how would you heat it carefully without damaging the blank? Do you use an open flame? I saw one Youtube video where a guy used a bic lighter and got the epoxy near smoking. It doesn't need to be that hot to be soft, correct? One more thing, I'm going to have to buy more epoxy so I'd welcome any recommendations you have. Last time I got everything for my last rod build was when Jimmy LeMert was just about ready to stop selling rod building materials from his shop. What do you guys prefer, Anglers Workshop or what?
I just use a heat gun. just enough to soften the epoxy. Hair dryer would work.

Elliott5400

According to your profile, you are pretty close to me.

I've been building rods for a few years, and just started performing repairs.

Feel free to PM me and I'm sure I can help repair it.

ellis

Thanks again for all the great suggestions!

Steve - I'm interested in 2-part Threadmaster. Is this what you would get ?<http://www.anglersworkshop.com/RodDancer/ThreadMaster-Rod-Wrapping-Finish>

One more problem - on the same rod, the reel seat is sliding off of the rod butt. The original epoxy which I think was the Flexcoat. Not sure since I built this 10+ years ago. Any suggestions to reattaching this so that holds better?

Elliot - are you interested in both repairs?

Attachments

• IMG-3513b.jpg
    IMG-3513b.jpg
    329.6 KB · Views: 2

Elliott5400

Thanks again for all the great suggestions!

Steve - I'm interested in 2-part Threadmaster. Is this what you would get ?<http://www.anglersworkshop.com/RodDancer/ThreadMaster-Rod-Wrapping-Finish>

One more problem - on the same rod, the reel seat is sliding off of the rod butt. The original epoxy which I think was the Flexcoat. Not sure since I built this 10+ years ago. Any suggestions to reattaching this so that holds better?

Elliot - are you interested in both repairs?
Yes I am. I'm wrapping up a rebuild right now for a friend and can show pics when I'm done.

Elliott5400

20210407_120214.jpg

Here is what it looks like with the guide removed and thread stripped.

If you look close, right side is fully prepped and ready for re wrap, left side look close and you'll see epoxy ridges shaped from the thread.

Amazing how new the blank looks under the wrap! He wants to keep the rest of the blank the aged vintage look.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts