Struck out twice this weekend. Water too cold?

I fished two lakes this weekend, Lake Lawrence in Thurston Co and Swofford Pond in Lewis Co. Not hot spotting as these are well-know put and take lakes. Both have been stocked in recent weeks, but I couldn't catch a thing. Just a couple of weak bumps on my beadhead leach jig.

My DF said the water was 51 degrees. Is that just too cold for fish to be actively feeding, or am I just that bad of a lake fisher? I tried chrono too, but dozed off.

MGTom

Living at the place of many waters
WFF Supporter
I fished two lakes this weekend, Lake Lawrence in Thurston Co and Swofford Pond in Lewis Co. Not hot spotting as these are well-know put and take lakes. Both have been stocked in recent weeks, but I couldn't catch a thing. Just a couple of weak bumps on my beadhead leach jig.

My DF said the water was 51 degrees. Is that just too cold for fish to be actively feeding, or am I just that bad of a lake fisher? I tried chrono too, but dozed off.
I found the put-n-take fish like the blobs and boobies, a new favorite for me. It seems figuring out which retrieve and depth is more important than color. If a few casts don't produce change it up till you find what's working. But they are within 6 weeks of planting down here and just moving to regular food diets.

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Supporter
jesus....I'd kill for 51 degree temps!!! not too cold for anything. I'm not much of a lake angler for trout (but I catch my fair share), but with any fish, when it's cold (er), go slow and low. Buuuut, 51 isn't cold....even for (or especially for) warmwater fish that I often target.

Last edited:

Irafly

Indi Ira
WFF Supporter
51 is Prime! Could be that the others beat you to the fish, you didn’t find the pod, cormorants...

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts