Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

8 wt salt rod (Redington Path) on sale a good deal?

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Merle 
#1 ·
Hi, I'm looking to buy my first fly rod. I wanted to fish silvers, pinks, and summer steelhead mostly in rivers, but also from beaches as well. Sportsman's has a spring sale right now where the Redington Path combo is $149.99. I'm looking specifically at the 9 ft. 8 wt. w/saltwater line. Pretty good price for the combo?

Being a newbie, I also wanted to know if the 8 wt. is a good choice for the fishing that I am looking to do. I don't have a boat (or have friends who do), so almost always will be fishing from shore/beach.

Thank you

#2 · (Edited)
Probably a good starter outfit.
You might also consider a 6 or 7 wt, with the 7 wt being a happy medium.
The average coho and pink you catch off the beaches are going to likely be 5 lbs or less.
The lighter rod lets them show off their stuff more.
You might also enjoy searun cutthroat fishing in the future in streams and off beaches as well. An 8 wt would be overkill in my opinion.
Good luck and have fun.
SF

#3 ·
You got good advice from Stonefish. I bought the Redington Vice combo a couple of years ago when I was starting out. The rod is a tremendous value, but it is very fast and not the easiest to learn on in my opinion, but it will catch fish and is a cannon with the right lines. I was not a fan of the ID reel that it came with and it did not stand up to saltwater use very well even though I did a decent job of rinsing it after use. The mainstream line that it came with the outfit while generally serviceable was not a good match for the rod. If there are viable options in your price range, you might look at picking up the rod and then getting some help picking out a reel and line that might be a better fit and last you longer if you really get into beach fishing. All that said, I do not have specific experience with the Path outfit.

#6 ·
I'll second the Echo base combo... I got one in 6wt just to keep in the car trunk for fishing emergencies and it's almost too nice to leave there. The reel is non-metallic but seems very smooth and well made. All for less than $200, including backing and line.

I did add a fighting butt to the rod in case I needed to use it on the beach.

-andy

Reactions: Buzzy
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.