New Spey Reel

Dave Westburg

WFF Supporter
New spey reel for my 13' Sharpes Bamboo Fly Rod. It's a 1930's JW Young Pattern 10b 4.5" reel private labeled for Modarcom, an abbreviation for the Modern Arms Company, a London fly fishing retailer. Weighs 14 oz by itself and 20 oz when loaded with backing and line. I needed a heavy reel to help balance the Sharpes rod which weighs 16.25 oz.
C72CED8E-C8DE-4D60-AF1D-0F280DCECADF_1_105_c.jpeg A954D679-919E-467E-AA2B-6B0365B2FA7C_1_105_c.jpeg Screen Shot 2021-04-06 at 9.40.31 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-04-06 at 9.41.07 PM.png
These old reels have a super long reel seat. It won't fit on my cnd spey rod but works fine with my Sharpes Spey rod because the Shapres has a sliding band reel seat.

Last edited:

Jockurr

WFF Supporter
Another JW Young classic. Beautiful reel Dave.
That's quite the counter balance. Could classify as a Piscatorial Trebuchet with the rod.

Note to self: Don't arm wrestle with Dave Westburg!

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
WFF Supporter
Nice example! It probably dates from the late twenties to early thirties judging by the adjustment knob and the finish. Hard to date them any better than that.

I picked up a 4-1/4" one that had a cork arbor shim to reduce the need for more backing. I had to remove it to address some corrosion issues.

Love those big Young reels with those big honkin' clickers! :)

Dave Westburg

WFF Supporter
Another JW Young classic. Beautiful reel Dave.
That's quite the counter balance. Could classify as a Piscatorial Trebuchet with the rod.

Note to self: Don't arm wrestle with Dave Westburg!
The heavy reel helps counterbalance my 16 oz 13' Sharpes bamboo rod to keep it from feeling tip heavy. I don't feel the sharpe's weight in the cast as much as on the swing.

I row on a concept two about an hour a day and also lift barbells to keep my torso fit. Have to admit, though, that I mostly use the Sharpes bamboo for half day trips. My 14'4" CND is easier for all day fishing and is easier to take down and put up than the spliced sharpes which needs to be taped and untaped every time I get in the car.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts