Packwood Area Fishing Options

socus

I'm renting a house on the Cowlitz outside Packwood next week for the first family trip with the grandparents now that they've been vaccinated. We're planning to do some hiking and biking but I'd love to spend a day fishing with my dad and the kids. Would anyone be willing to share a couple of likely spots for us to explore in the area? We're a multigenerational group ranging from 9 to 77 so I'm hoping to find a spot with pretty easy access. Not opposed to fishing moving water but from an access point of view I think an lake in a tube/pontoon would be our best bet. I'm guessing that Leech and some of the higher elevation options are still 5-6 weeks away from ice free and ready to fish. Thanks for any help you can provide!

-Andy

Denny

I'm renting a house on the Cowlitz outside Packwood next week for the first family trip with the grandparents now that they've been vaccinated. We're planning to do some hiking and biking but I'd love to spend a day fishing with my dad and the kids. Would anyone be willing to share a couple of likely spots for us to explore in the area? We're a multigenerational group ranging from 9 to 77 so I'm hoping to find a spot with pretty easy access. Not opposed to fishing moving water but from an access point of view I think an lake in a tube/pontoon would be our best bet. I'm guessing that Leech and some of the higher elevation options are still 5-6 weeks away from ice free and ready to fish. Thanks for any help you can provide!

-Andy
rife lake dam area

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
A couple options.
Walupt Lake, though it may still have ice on it as it at a higher altitude.
Swofford Pond
Scanewa Lake
Tilton river is open year round.
Have fun.
SF

socus

Thanks for the suggestions Denny and Stonefish! I really appreciate you pointing me in the right direction. I fished Lone with my dad and son last week and we had a blast- our first boys fishing trip in over a year! We didn't catch a ton of fish but they were just consistent enough to keep everyone engaged. I could watch an indicator bouncing around all day but my son needs regular positive feedback from the trout to keep him focused on fishing for more than a couple of hours. Most fish looked to be recent plants but we did manage one big pig right at the end of the afternoon. The family trip next week is going to be great and I'm really looking forward to giving my dad and daughter a chance to spend some time together on the water. Thank you!

-Andy

thesankers

Walupt, while likely frozen, is a beautiful lake with a nice national forest campground, tons of crayfish for kids to chase, a wonderful summer mayfly hatch and pretty, but small wild rainbows. A great family camping spot in the summer.

socus

Thanks to everyone for the Packwood area fishing options. We headed down to Swoffard Pond today and had a great day of fishing. The trout managed to evade us but the bluegill bite was wide open all day long. My daughter caught 10 and managed to catch more than dad and grandpa combined. Awesome day on the water!

Attachments

• 94ADFCFD-A492-413A-835D-952ABB464C71.jpeg
    94ADFCFD-A492-413A-835D-952ABB464C71.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 26

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts