Pandemic fly rod warranty blues.

P

plecoptera419

"We don't make that rod anymore so we cannot offer repair service on your broken lifetime warranty rod..."

"Your lifetime warranty rod is 8 years old so we have deemed that it did not break due to a manufacturing defect..."

"We will however, issue a 50% off code that is usable on our website only for you to purchase a new fly rod..."

"Yeah sorry we don't have any fly rods in stock to sell you due to supply chain issues caused by Covid. We have no idea when we will have inventory, but we can preorder one for you"

Unreal! Good times... Not!

Swimmy

"We don't make that rod anymore so we cannot offer repair service on your broken lifetime warranty rod..."

"Your lifetime warranty rod is 8 years old so we have deemed that it did not break due to a manufacturing defect..."

Who is it so I might consider avoiding next time I purchase a new rod.

suckegg

Supply chain issues may get worse before they get better from what I am hearing. I contacted two companies this week for product for reviews (free press) any neither had any stock or were certain when they would. Some normally solid companies are being impacted... tough times. Demand is up to boot. Some are working overtime. I do have a source for willow saplings... just PM me.

jaredoconnor

WFF Supporter
I am also interested to know what companies are involved here.

I must admit, I do wonder how an 8 year old rod can have a manufacturing defect. Wouldn't it have been caught by now?

P

plecoptera419

I didn't go in to this claiming a manufacturing defect. That said, the rod pretty much blew up with no real explanation. No car doors, ceiling fans, or otherwise involved here. I take good care of my stuff.

The company has had a reputation for replacing rods that guys have outright admitted they stuck in a car door in the past. They obviously can't replace a rod if they don't have one to send me, so 50% off is the best they can do.

It is what it is. Fifty percent off on a rod I can't buy doesn't make it any less aggravating.

jaredoconnor

WFF Supporter
I feel fly rod warranties are pretty much an honor system, at this point, on both sides. It would probably be a lot easier (and cheaper) if there was less ambiguity.

Good luck with your rod problem. It definitely sucks to be stuck without a rod.

suckegg

A company not making an 8 year old model is not shocking at all.

Not having a reasonable option at this time is tough. Some company’s rods are ready to ship but there is shortage of containers globally causing delays.
I didn't go in to this claiming a manufacturing defect. That said, the rod pretty much blew up with no real explanation. No car doors, ceiling fans, or otherwise involved here. I take good care of my stuff.

The company has had a reputation for replacing rods that guys have outright admitted they stuck in a car door in the past. They obviously can't replace a rod if they don't have one to send me, so 50% off is the best they can do.

It is what it is. Fifty percent off on a rod I can't buy doesn't make it any less aggravating.

I would add I think defect warranties should be limited to one year. After that 50% off or whatever makes more sense. Sometimes warranties just seem misleading let alone terms get adjusted after the purchase. I have a rod a friend just broke and I noticed they don't make it anymore either so this will be interesting. Same deal in that there was no apparent reason for it to break. It had a 5 year warranty. If you rod was $850 new, $425 is still a chunk of change in my book.

the_grube

Just sent my rod in for a broken tip replacement. Those are usually pretty easy since they're so common. Already prepared for an 8wk turnaround. Maybe I better get ready to buy a rod for half price.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
WFF Supporter
So I have to ask, did any rod manufacturers ever offer a lifetime (or even 20 year) no-fault warranty with free or nominal fee repair/replacement during that original owner's "lifetime" (ownership of the rod) or a other specified time period?
If so, (especially if original owner has proof of it -sales paperwork, website screenshot...), should the mfg honor it?

Rocking Chair Fan

No more hot spotting
So I have to ask, did any rod manufacturers ever offer a lifetime (or even 20 year) no-fault warranty with free or nominal fee repair/replacement during that original owner's "lifetime" (ownership of the rod) or a other specified time period?
If so, (especially if original owner has proof of it -sales paperwork, website screenshot...), should the mfg honor it?

Loomis came close. Before Shimano bought them they had their Expeditor program which was no-fault, no questions asked. If you were the original owner and the rod was registered, they would ship you (via Air usually) a replacement for $25 the next day if in stock. You would return the broken rod later. They also had a life time warranty (defective/workmanship) with no-cost replacement.

Sportsman

I have to agree with Brian on this one. No offense to the OP, but a 'lifetime' warranty that was EVER offered by rod manufacturers is why we have thousand dollar ++ rods today. What an insane marketing strategy. Once one did, they all had to fall in line. Step on it? Slam it in a door? Find it on the highway after leaving it on the roof? No effing problem. A 3 year warranty would certainly cover Any mfg defects. Hit the tip with a weighted fly and you will cause a stress riser that will eventually cause a 'mfg defect'! Boeing sells jets that sell for 100's of million dollars and we only had a 20 year warranty. NO one here can dispute that the lifetime warranty on rods has been seriously abused.

Last edited:

Buzzy

@plecoptera419 - I understand your frustration. No sarcasm intended: are you without any backup rods or other rods in your collection? Just trying to understand if you're without the means to fish.

Rocking Chair Fan

No more hot spotting
Companies changed their life time warranties and made them retroactive. They also still have a a life time warranty for defect/non-conformance. It is no-cost if it qualifies. If it is a current model and does not qualify they will give an estimate for the cost...

Loomis is now charging $250 for the Expeditor program for older rods with a replacement of their choice from current model line up.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts