Pandemic fly rod warranty blues.

NukeLDO

WFF Supporter
I have to agree with Brian on this one. No offense to the OP, but a 'lifetime' warranty that was EVER offered by rod manufacturers is why we have thousand dollar ++ rods today. What an insane marketing strategy. Once one did, they all had to fall in line. Step on it? Slam it in a door? Find it on the highway after leaving it on the roof? No effing problem. A 3 year warranty would certainly cover Any mfg defects. Hit the tip with a weighted fly and you will cause a stress riser that will eventually cause a 'mfg defect'! Boeing sells jets that sell for 100's of million dollars and we only had a 20 year warranty. NO one here can dispute that the lifetime warranty on rods has been seriously abused.
LOOP replaced the tip section of my rod, well beyond the warranty period....$60, no questions asked. Can't complain about that.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
WFF Supporter
I have to agree with Brian on this one. No offense to the OP, but a 'lifetime' warranty that was EVER offered by rod manufacturers is why we have thousand dollar ++ rods today. What an insane marketing strategy. Once one did, they all had to fall in line. Step on it? Slam it in a door? Find it on the highway after leaving it on the roof?... NO one here can dispute that the lifetime warranty on rods has been seriously absurd.

I retired after several years of software asset and contracts management. I don't dispute the absurdity of "lifetime" and "no-fault" terms a mfg created for itself to gain market share, but I asked two questions...

Did mfg's offer "lifetime" or "no-fault" "free or nominal fee" repair/replacement, warranties to original owners of rods they purchased from authorized dealers?
And is it right (and legal) to unilaterally and retroactively change the terms without consent from, or otherwise compensating original owners for what becomes a tangible loss of value of their purchase?

veilside180sx

So I have to ask, did any rod manufacturers ever offer a lifetime (or even 20 year) no-fault warranty with free or nominal fee repair/replacement during that original owner's "lifetime" (ownership of the rod) or a other specified time period?
If so, (especially if original owner has proof of it -sales paperwork, website screenshot...), should the mfg honor it?

Orvis was 25 yr

GLC

Here is a quote from my St. Croix's Legend rod warranty registration card that I purchased over 26 years ago:

Unconditional Lifetime Warranty
St. Croix will promptly repair or replace this Legend fly rod free of charge if it becomes damaged for any reason. This warranty applies to the original owner only. Damaged rods must be returned to: ......

P

plecoptera419

I have to agree with Brian on this one. No offense to the OP, but a 'lifetime' warranty that was EVER offered by rod manufacturers is why we have thousand dollar ++ rods today. What an insane marketing strategy. Once one did, they all had to fall in line. Step on it? Slam it in a door? Find it on the highway after leaving it on the roof? No effing problem. A 3 year warranty would certainly cover Any mfg defects. Hit the tip with a weighted fly and you will cause a stress riser that will eventually cause a 'mfg defect'! Boeing sells jets that sell for 100's of million dollars and we only had a 20 year warranty. NO one here can dispute that the lifetime warranty on rods has been seriously abused.
No offense taken. I completely agree its been abused, and it is the reason why manufacturers are either dumping warranties completely or offering less in a warranty.

I would be way less upset at a 50% off offer if I could actually get a new rod. Ironically I can buy a new rod by the same manufacturer in ten different places, just not direct from them and no discount.

P

plecoptera419

@plecoptera419 - I understand your frustration. No sarcasm intended: are you without any backup rods or other rods in your collection? Just trying to understand if you're without the means to fish.
Not a chance in hell I will ever be without the means to fish! I'm all good there. There are two new rods incoming.

blackgrass

WFF Supporter
One that that bugs me about the 50% off offer from the mfg. That is basically the price they are selling to a retailer. Keystone pricing. So in essence, they are not out anything and doing no more for you than offering you a rod for what they sell to ABC Fly Shop.
I would be much happier if it was just laid out up front that anything other than a butt section was $75 to replace and a butt section was $125 or so. Maybe a defects policy for coverage for the first year.

Canuck from Kansas

WFF Supporter
So I have to ask, did any rod manufacturers ever offer a lifetime (or even 20 year) no-fault warranty with free or nominal fee repair/replacement during that original owner's "lifetime" (ownership of the rod) or a other specified time period?
If so, (especially if original owner has proof of it -sales paperwork, website screenshot...), should the mfg honor it?

In my experience, Scott has an outstanding "lifetime warranty" - I had/have a Scott G2 5wt - used it back in KS as a Bass rod, now my streamer rod - anyway, left it on the porch on the farm once and Tilly (our Heeler) chewed the tip in half - I sent it in to Scott with a note "dog ate my rod" - they replaced it free of charge. More recently (4 yrs ago?) had a 15-yr-old Scott G series 3 wt where they replaced the mid section - free of charge. Things may have changed since, not sure.

cheers

hookedonthefly

That bums me out as I have rods of a lot of different brands. The two best warranty experiences I have had were Scott and Echo (prior to changes at Rajeff-so don’t have recent experience). One of the worst, prior to them getting their act together, was Scott. The other manufacturers were average service. All pre-“the virus”. If you are the original owner, I wouldn’t hesitate to fight like hell. It seems that it is sometimes necessary. I recently filed a complaint with the State Insurance Dept. and the State Office of Attorney General. The insurance company paid the bill. Good Luck, Ed

CreekScrambler

No it's not. They created a swamp that they can't crawl out of. No sympathy! Solution is to buy a rod that is easily 90+% as good for a 1/3- 1/2 without the fancy label.
The marginal gains of whatever the next tech breakthrough offers has been pretty slim for a long time. The era of leaps and bounds in the development of many, many goods has all but closed with the maturing of CAD, finite element analysis, CNC manufacturing, and so on.

I can’t bring myself to pay top dollar on mass-manufactured gear when middle or even low-ish-shelf equipment is of such high quality.

What I’m hearing is that people actually chase down warranty claims on wispy graphite twigs because they sometimes break. This surprises me.

long_rod_silvers

WFF Supporter
I just went thru a repair/replacement with Winston, sharing their name because they held up their end of the bargain from way back when. After sending them the broken rod, they told me the day they got the rod that they couldn't repair it, but could offer any of their lineup (except Air 2 which had just been released) as a replacement at no cost. I was expecting to have to pay (like some of the others who've changed their warranty policy), but after letting them know which rod I was looking for, they sent off a brand new Alpha + next day (and they paid for the 2 day shipping back to me). Turn around time was under 2 weeks. Thumbs up for Winston.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts