Pandemic fly rod warranty blues.

P

plecoptera419

I want to say thank you to those that of you that offered up loaner rods. Your kindness is beyond appreciated.

The lemonade that came out out of this situation was that I was able to find a steal of a deal on rod I have wanted for some time. The sale price was low enough I decided to buy two!

LilCutts

fish & whistle
WFF Supporter
I want to say thank you to those that of you that offered up loaner rods. Your kindness is beyond appreciated.

The lemonade that came out out of this situation was that I was able to find a steal of a deal on rod I have wanted for some time. The sale price was low enough I decided to buy two!
Glad it worked out!

wetline dave

Eight years of use and it breaks is not a manufactures defect. In 8 years at least one time if not more a fly and especially weighted fly has bounce off the rod. Was it ever dropped or set down hard. In these situations a small chip or a micro fracture is created and will in time manifest into a broken rod.

Modern graphite rods are wonderful in many ways but are very fragile. Handle like fine crystal. If you want or require more forgiving rods then go to fiberglass.

Dave

Buzzy

Apologies in advance to @plecoptera419 for a shift in this thread from warranties to availability of products - I've been thinking about buying a new reel with a few spools. There seems to be a shortage of product (that I'm interested in) which I suppose is due to pandemic production issues, supply chain problems and an increase in demand (or my least favorite: discontinued model of a reel I'd like to have a few more of).

(OP - glad you got a couple new rods on the way!)

P

plecoptera419

Eight years of use and it breaks is not a manufactures defect. In 8 years at least one time if not more a fly and especially weighted fly has bounce off the rod. Was it ever dropped or set down hard. In these situations a small chip or a micro fracture is created and will in time manifest into a broken rod.

Modern graphite rods are wonderful in many ways but are very fragile. Handle like fine crystal. If you want or require more forgiving rods then go to fiberglass.

Dave
Go back and read the thread please. I never claimed manufactures defect. I had hoped for a better outcome from what I considered to be a reputable company though.
Apologies in advance to @plecoptera419 for a shift in this thread from warranties to availability of products - I've been thinking about buying a new reel with a few spools. There seems to be a shortage of product (that I'm interested in) which I suppose is due to pandemic production issues, supply chain problems and an increase in demand (or my least favorite: discontinued model of a reel I'd like to have a few more of).

(OP - glad you got a couple new rods on the way!)
No apologies needed. In my search for a replacement I found out just how bad the supply chain issue is right now. Fenwick Aetos? nope! New Pflueger medalist reel? nope! What about this rod? out of stock! The list goes on. Product shortage and availability is definetely part of the conversation. Half of nothing equals nothing.

bchapman

I broke a Fenwick 10’ World Class last year. They graciously offered to replace it with an Aetos (an inferior rod but they don’t make the World Class anymore).

Trouble is they told me this in October. Since then they’ve been very apologetic but it’s the same thing... “we expect new stock in [x] months.

It’s not really their fault. It’s the fault of all those people “working” from home/stream/lake.

Nevertheless, I’m probably going to be down a rod on my trip in 3 weeks. I guess I’ll just have to tough it out with the ones I haven’t broken yet.

LilCutts

fish & whistle
WFF Supporter
Go back and read the thread please. I never claimed manufactures defect. I had hoped for a better outcome from what I considered to be a reputable company though.

No apologies needed. In my search for a replacement I found out just how bad the supply chain issue is right now. Fenwick Aetos? nope! New Pflueger medalist reel? nope! What about this rod? out of stock! The list goes on. Product shortage and availability is definetely part of the conversation. Half of nothing equals nothing.
It didn’t help that everyone was making emotional rod and reel purchases last year to cope with not fishing. I can only speak for Sage but they had a killer year.

doublebluff

Go Beavs
I would like to commend Beulah Flyrods for being very quick with a recent rod repair. One section of my 5 wt had an unfortunate run-in with a car door. I sent it to them and then got the rod back in the mail two weeks after the accident. Not a warranty item, but it sure was good service, and it made my Spring a little better.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts