Crystal clear water in a little seep lake

Starman77

Anyone else go over the pass early on Thursday morning? Be glad you didn't, as it was a mess. Chains required, except for AWD. Trucks and other vehicles were stuck, and even saw on SUV overturned in the median strip on the east side of the pass. It was snowing from about North Bend to Cle Elum. Fortunately I made it through without a mishap in my trusty Subaru Outback that now has 294,000 miles on it.

Due to the wind forecasts, I opted to fish a very small seep lake this week that has crystal clear water with visibility of around 25 feet; I believe this lake has the clearest water of any of the desert basin lakes. Due to the lake's orientation and prevailing wind direction and basalt cliffs, the wind was tolerable:

20210408_121450 25.jpg

Not many fish caught, but the ones that are in there are very chunky and really good fighters:

IMGP5596 25.jpg

Rex

dp

~El Pescador
damn. I need to hook up with you Rex - soon!
nice work. heading over on Sunday as tomorrow looks horrible

Buzzy

Thanks, but you don't need to wait to hook up with me to fish these lakes. Those seep lakes are all out there for you to explore at your leisure and they aren't going anywhere. :)
While the lakes aren't going anywhere, if you're not paying attention and just following one of the cattle trails, you might not get to where you think you're going (perhaps the voice of experience?). Great report, Rex!!

Starman77

While the lakes aren't going anywhere, if you're not paying attention and just following one of the cattle trails, you might not get to where you think you're going (perhaps the voice of experience?). Great report, Rex!!
Yeah, definitely my fault for getting Buzzy lost in the desert one time. But, getting lost in the desert is part of the adventure and reward for finding a small lake out there in the wilderness. To me, it is more interesting to find a lake on my own instead of having someone else guide me into the lake.

Buzzy

Yeah, definitely my fault for getting Buzzy lost in the desert one time. But, getting lost in the desert is part of the adventure and reward for finding a small lake out there in the wilderness. To me, it is more interesting to find a lake on my own instead of having someone else guide me into the lake.
Absolutely my fault - I tend to look more at the path I'm walking when shouldering a float tube - I need to pay a bit more attention to the horizon and "That rock over there" (rocks in Grant and Adams counties?). :D

Matt Paluch

WFF Premium
Did you get a water temp? I went out there early March and didn't see any fish in the shallows. I was with the family, so we just walked around it. Planning on camping there when the weather's warmer.

Buzzy

I've wondered about that "shoal" and imagine if there are fish on the shoal that it wouldn't take much to scare all of them off. They must move up onto it, it seems like it should be a food factory and warmer than the rest of the deeper water. I too haven't seen a fish on the shallows - on the shoal.

Last edited:

Irafly

Indi Ira
WFF Premium
I've wondered about that "shoal" and imagine if there are fish on the shoal that it wouldn't take much to scare all of them off. They must move up onto it, it seems like it should be a food factory and warmer than the rest of the deeper water. I too haven't seen a fish on the shallows - on the shoal.

That is what night time is for.

Buzzy

That is what night time is for.
Ira -
Probably true - this particular stillwater's shoal may well fish after dark. I'm not willing to hike the scablands after dark. Maybe with a good flashlight and handheld gps, maybe.

A few of the BC lakes I have fished that have nice shoals - one in particular on Greenstone Mountain - when the weather is a little rough (rain, wind, chop) Ma Nature seems to provide cover for trout. I've done really well on this lake anchored in 3 - 5 feet of water fishing an intermediate line or floating line and stripping something like hares ear or squirrel tail nymph. Nastier the weather the more the trout seem to move up onto this underwater food factory.

Last edited:

Matt Paluch

WFF Premium
The lake fished fairly well today. Saw a man and a kid fishing there, which is the first time I've seen anyone else there. A couple fish in the shallows this time. Hiking in the wind with float tube on my back was all sorts of fun.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts