Reference I've been throwing tailing loops, now better

MGTom

Living at the place of many waters
WFF Supporter
My last couple outings I noticed was was starting to throw a lot of tailing loops. I've been tossing some worms/powerbait with the family, and it's amazing how quick my bait lob screwed up my fly casting. I'd been letting my arm drift back too far. Found this and it helped. Focused on shoulders square to the fall line, er target, and keeping my elbow down by my hip really helped. This little piece got me back on track today.
Orvis Top 5 Fly-Casting Mistakes and How to Correct Them

kmudgn

My feeling about tailing loops is "yeah, so what". I consider myself a "competent" caster and every now and again will throw a tailing loop. Since I am not trying to toss the fly into a teacup at 40 ft. it generally makes no difference to catching a fish (isn't that the goal?). Just my opinion, but fly fishing instructors make too much out of small issues (too much wrist, didn't back cast far enough, line speed too low, etc.). They are part of the reason fly fishing is such an arcane practice.

Since 99% of new fly fishers are using "fast" rods it really makes little difference as they never learn to cast properly anyway.

MGTom

WFF Supporter
My feeling about tailing loops is "yeah, so what". I consider myself a "competent" caster and every now and again will throw a tailing loop. Since I am not trying to toss the fly into a teacup at 40 ft. it generally makes no difference to catching a fish (isn't that the goal?). Just my opinion, but fly fishing instructors make too much out of small issues (too much wrist, didn't back cast far enough, line speed too low, etc.). They are part of the reason fly fishing is such an arcane practice.

Since 99% of new fly fishers are using "fast" rods it really makes little difference as they never learn to cast properly anyway.
As I was fishing more blobs earlier, it was yeah, so what, as they fly would eventual lay out with the short leader, but with a long leader and multi flies it tangled with the sidewind. Needed fixing.

wetswinger

Good casting does make a difference, especially from the beach. Heavy flies in the wind will make you wish your technique is spot on. Like MGTom I was struggling with tangled lines and wind knots last outing. After cooling my temper and self loathing I realized my trouble. I tend to release my line on the forward stroke too early. This robs all the casts power and causes the leader and heavy fly to stay low, crossing over the line and tangling. Just holding on a split second longer allows the line to start straightening out whipping that bug out there. So yeah, proper technique does matter and makes the difference between an enjoyable day or one of frustration and angst...

CreekScrambler

Every now and then I’ll have a rough time casting. Eventually, I come to the realization that lobbing a #2 Clouser or similar clunky setup on a standard 5wt rod and line is gonna be ugly. If I change to a soft hackle or a dry, I immediately start casting laser loops with marvelous turnover.

I’d like to second the previous post. Shooting line is great, but it’s pretty easy to have your loop carry additional running line vs direct energy into turnover. This is one of the reasons I’m migrating to DT lines...there’s a strong incentive to pick it up and lay it right back down vs retrieve and shoot. The water load on the backcast pickup is some of the best line speed you’ll generate while fishing.

DimeBrite

5X Celebrity Jeopardy Champion
A good fly fisherman always works to improve casting skills. Tailing loops are an occasional problem for almost everyone. I watch casting videos all the time and still have bad habits to break.

Dustin Bise

reformed hot-spotter

if your fishing small flies = wind knots you dont notice = lost fish.

Steve Saville

WFF Supporter
I do it often. When this happens I think for a minute and make sure I'm not dipping my cast on the back cast. I also concentrate on giving the line an opportunity to unfold completely on the back cast.

MGTom

WFF Supporter
I do it often. When this happens I think for a minute and make sure I'm not dipping my cast on the back cast. I also concentrate on giving the line an opportunity to unfold completely on the back cast.
Thx. Those words describe it well. Now that I'm getting more rods and lines I've noticed it pays to fish close and short in a practice spot before really going at it.

Steve Saville

WFF Supporter
One should always start with short casts of 30 to 40 feet and then work out to farther distances. If you’ve been away from it for a while you need to get your timing back.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info