Blood knot tools

jaredoconnor

WFF Supporter
I just looked up a video of that EZ Tie doodad. That... does not look easier lol. :p

More importantly though, it looks like the tags come out the same side. That's not the correct way to tie the knot. He also says this knot is stronger than a surgeons knot, which I believe is incorrect.

Last edited:

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
I have always tied my blood knots with the tags going up the same direction. They do not break. It's one thing to talk online about test figures and breaking strength, and read all the test articles and so forth. But all that really doesn't amount to much compared to real world usage. Blood knots, nail knots, and non slip loops is all I use for Washington fly fishing up to and including tuna, and those knots simply don't fail me. Ever. I truly can't recall the last time I had a knot break.

Practice makes perfect. If a device works for ya, then great. I use a tool for nail knots most of the time. But ultimately whatever you do the only way to get proficient is to practice.
Ultimately I'm an advocate of keeping things simple. Find a knot that works for ya and use it. I fish for a living year round, both gear and fly, and I can count 8 knots that I use. No need to muddle the waters learning every new knot I read about when what I use works as well as anything.

jaredoconnor

WFF Supporter
I have always tied my blood knots with the tags going up the same direction. They do not break. It's one thing to talk online about test figures and breaking strength, and read all the test articles and so forth. But all that really doesn't amount to much compared to real world usage. Blood knots, nail knots, and non slip loops is all I use for Washington fly fishing up to and including tuna, and those knots simply don't fail me. Ever. I truly can't recall the last time I had a knot break.

Context matters, though. Lots of folks around here aren't using 10lb Ultragreen for their tippet, straight off a sinking line. :p

The leader I was using last weekend was 16 feet long and had about 8 knots, tapering from 20lb Maxima to 4lb Fluroflex. Sometimes all that stuff matters a lot!

Last edited:

LilCutts

fish & whistle
WFF Supporter

Practice makes perfect. If a device works for ya, then great. I use a tool for nail knots most of the time. But ultimately whatever you do the only way to get proficient is to practice.
Ultimately I'm an advocate of keeping things simple. Find a knot that works for ya and use it. I fish for a living year round, both gear and fly, and I can count 8 knots that I use. No need to muddle the waters learning every new knot I read about when what I use works as well as anything.
Which eight?

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
Context matters, though. Lots of folks around here aren't using 10lb Ultragreen for their tippet, straight off a sinking line. :p

Haha Fair enough, however as much as it seems that way, it's not ALL I do lol. I spent many years fishing trout on lakes almost exclusively, and have plenty of experience tying long tapered leaders of several different diameters down to small tippets.

A simple, well tied knot is going to be just fine for all our fishing. Until we start getting into the world of GTs and extreme offshore fishing, we aren't ever putting enough strain on these knots to the point so many of these breakage charts and stuff even come into play.

It's fun to charge down these rabbit holes, no doubt. I'm guilty of that a ton. But people have been catching trout using a few simple knots for any awfully long time now. I strongly believe that it's far more beneficial to keep things simple.

And of course confidence matters. If you believe that tying a particular knot is going to hold better, or tying a standard knot in a specific way will improve its ability, and that gives you the confidence to fight a fish without worrying about the knot then thats definitely a good thing. But IMO if someone is having some of these tried and true knots fail on a consistent basis, its operator error and moving on to the next new knot isn't going to solve the problem.

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
Which eight?

Fly fishing: Nail knot, blood knot, non slip loop.

Gear fishing: RP knot, double uni, Palomar, improved clinch, perfection loop.

I am sure there is another random knot or two that I use from time to time, but off the top of my head I can't think of any more.

long_rod_silvers

WFF Supporter
Is there a reason, you need to tie a blood knot vs the surgeons (double or triple)?

Personally, I know how to tie both well, but tend to use double and triple surgeons far more regularly because they're far quicker to tie & hold great while still being compact enough.

Whatever knot you use, just learn to tie it well. That'll be far better than the "best" knot in the world tied poorly.
I was going to ask the same thing. Both knots accomplish essentially the same thing right? I like the idea of knowing both well, but always tend to double or triple surgeon because of how quick and easy it is. After seeing that toothpick trick though, I don't know anymore. That was pretty damn slick.

LilCutts

fish & whistle
WFF Supporter
Fly fishing: Nail knot, blood knot, non slip loop.

Gear fishing: RP knot, double uni, Palomar, improved clinch, perfection loop.

I am sure there is another random knot or two that I use from time to time, but off the top of my head I can't think of any more.
Thanks. Arbor knot? Perfection loops are handy when you don’t have a welded loop.

LilCutts

fish & whistle
WFF Supporter
I was going to ask the same thing. Both knots accomplish essentially the same thing right? I like the idea of knowing both well, but always tend to double or triple surgeon because of how quick and easy it is. After seeing that toothpick trick though, I don't know anymore. That was pretty damn slick.
Does anyone use a pitzen knot as opposed to a clinch or improved clinch?

jaredoconnor

WFF Supporter

Surgeons knots aren't smooth and don't go through the guides well. That's pretty much the only reason I ever use blood knots. I think surgeons knots are superior, in every other way. However, my shortest leader is 14ft and my longest is 30ft, so blood knots are unavoidable.

Below are all the knots I use, in order of frequency.
  1. Clinch knot
  2. Blood knot
  3. Surgeons knot
  4. Nail knot
  5. Albright knot
  6. Arbor knot

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Supporter
I guess I've so rarely (e.g. never) had an issue with surgeons knots going through my guides (even on 40lb musky leaders) that I've rarely felt the need to tie anything else (for that application). There's a video somewhere around that shows Ed Ward tying up surgeons loops and knots and showing how to properly get them to seat.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts