Lost my dad Wednesday

Greg Price

Love da little fishies
My dad was the greatest.

He took time to teach me snow skiing, water skiing, camping, dirt bikinig, auto, ski boat and motorcycle mechanics from an early age. He had a British sports car rhat was only driven in summer but required constant attention to tune dual carbs and mess with Lucas electricals.

I got him into Sailing and fly fishing.

He had more confidence than anyone I knew. His mathematical skills were unbelievable. His day job in the 70's was designing Hyster lift trucks out of corporte in Portland OR. He took a part time night job in the 70's teaching a college.
class called Statics and Dynamics. Administration made him fail half his class every quarter to weed out engineers from non engineers.

When his two jobs took away from family time mom and him decided to designate Wed night as family night. We swam at the Tigard pool as a family and I really looked forward to that. I summer we launched the boat on the columbia river and water skied a bit, then had fresh barbecue ham burgers on the beach. Wow those burgers mom made were tasty. Especially after expending calories swimming and skiing I the cold water.

After college he got a mono hull sailboat that was moored in a slip. I had a Hobe cat hot rod. We both liked sailing or cruising together.

Then we Co purchase an old Wooldridge aluminum drift boat and gear fished for winter steelhead

I got the fly fishing sickness soon after and gave it to my dad. He grew up in Yakima, so I invited him to fish with me at Yakima canon, . He wanted to dry flyfish bu I made him put on a wet fly with indicator. We put in at Big Horn and I made no more than 8 or 9 pulls on the oars and his bobber went down near shore just below the highway. He gleefully played and landed an exceptional rainbow of about 19 inches! Begginer luck as it was his first time on the river and I think it was his first year of fly fishing. Needless to say he was enamored with the Yak. And he agreed fishing with a bobber was productive. That was mid 90s. We ended up making father son annual camping and fly fishing trip early fall each year after river flows allowed us to get out of boat to fish. For several years I left my wooldridge home as he a d my uncle had a much nicer clackacraft we fished out of. We continued our annual father son trips and watched as reds changed from a lovely place to camp into a resort with no camping. We were amazed that steve, the new owners remembered our names and dad I enjoyed the advice a d hot flies of the da seemed like we always got more lucky when we took the advice and fished the store boubt reds flynshop flies.w

Then rhe messy divorce between my mom and dad happened about 10 years ago. I was forced to choose sides, so I chose the weak link, my mom. That ended my relationship with my dad and with my mom's brother who went against her. I lost three men in my life at that time, the tnird being my sisters husband. All, three of us had taken fun trip to Alaska to fly fish for salmon in streams with a guide buddy of mine from high school.

I have floated the yak several times since the divorce, but the mental termoil I had after remembering the special times showing dad the river and fish we worked together to catch bummed me out. So I quit going a d have since explored new places to catch large fish away fTom the crowds.

I choose to remember the support and confidence my dad gave me at all the turning points In life. His favorite saying was GO FOR IT!!!

When I stood at the face of the upper ski bowl mogul hill while night skiing with his Co workers he would yell GO FOR IT!!!

When I was at the oars of his nearly scratch less drift boat at the head of the "Widow Maker" chute o the East Fork Of the Lewis - GO FOR IT!!!!

When I was 10 years old with my Yamaha 60 at the base of a hill climb in the Tillimook Burn looking up to where my dad had just climbed it on his look a like but much bigger Yamaha 360 Greg - GO FOR IT!!!!

Dad as you see JESUS, make a perfect cast, golf swing, enjoy your amazing sail boat or ride around heaven with the top down DAD -GO FOR IT

Dad was 85 when he passed. I saw him only 3 times since the divorce due to horrible family issues. I was able to make amends with him a few years ago.

LilCutts

fish & whistle
WFF Supporter
My dad was the greatest.

He took time to teach me snow skiing, water skiing, camping, dirt bikinig, auto, ski boat and motorcycle mechanics from an early age. He had a British sports car rhat was only driven in summer but required constant attention to tune dual carbs and mess with Lucas electricals.

I got him into Sailing and fly fishing.

He had more confidence than anyone I knew. His mathematical skills were unbelievable. His day job in the 70's was designing Hyster lift trucks out of corporte in Portland OR. He took a part time night job in the 70's teaching a college.
class called Statics and Dynamics. Administration made him fail half his class every quarter to weed out engineers from non engineers.

When his two jobs took away from family time mom and him decided to designate Wed night as family night. We swam at the Tigard pool as a family and I really looked forward to that. I summer we launched the boat on the columbia river and water skied a bit, then had fresh barbecue ham burgers on the beach. Wow those burgers mom made were tasty. Especially after expending calories swimming and skiing I the cold water.

After college he got a mono hull sailboat that was moored in a slip. I had a Hobe cat hot rod. We both liked sailing or cruising together.

Then we Co purchase an old Wooldridge aluminum drift boat and gear fished for winter steelhead

I got the fly fishing sickness soon after and gave it to my dad. He grew up in Yakima, so I invited him to fish with me at Yakima canon, . He wanted to dry flyfish bu I made him put on a wet fly with indicator. We put in at Big Horn and I made no more than 8 or 9 pulls on the oars and his bobber went down near shore just below the highway. He gleefully played and landed an exceptional rainbow of about 19 inches! Begginer luck as it was his first time on the river and I think it was his first year of fly fishing. Needless to say he was enamored with the Yak. And he agreed fishing with a bobber was productive. That was mid 90s. We ended up making father son annual camping and fly fishing trip early fall each year after river flows allowed us to get out of boat to fish. For several years I left my wooldridge home as he a d my uncle had a much nicer clackacraft we fished out of. We continued our annual father son trips and watched as reds changed from a lovely place to camp into a resort with no camping. We were amazed that steve, the new owners remembered our names and dad I enjoyed the advice a d hot flies of the da seemed like we always got more lucky when we took the advice and fished the store boubt reds flynshop flies.w

Then rhe messy divorce between my mom and dad happened about 10 years ago. I was forced to choose sides, so I chose the weak link, my mom. That ended my relationship with my dad and with my mom's brother who went against her. I lost three men in my life at that time, the tnird being my sisters husband. All, three of us had taken fun trip to Alaska to fly fish for salmon in streams with a guide buddy of mine from high school.

I have floated the yak several times since the divorce, but the mental termoil I had after remembering the special times showing dad the river and fish we worked together to catch bummed me out. So I quit going a d have since explored new places to catch large fish away fTom the crowds.

I choose to remember the support and confidence my dad gave me at all the turning points In life. His favorite saying was GO FOR IT!!!

When I stood at the face of the upper ski bowl mogul hill while night skiing with his Co workers he would yell GO FOR IT!!!

When I was at the oars of his nearly scratch less drift boat at the head of the "Widow Maker" chute o the East Fork Of the Lewis - GO FOR IT!!!!

When I was 10 years old with my Yamaha 60 at the base of a hill climb in the Tillimook Burn looking up to where my dad had just climbed it on his look a like but much bigger Yamaha 360 Greg - GO FOR IT!!!!

Dad as you see JESUS, make a perfect cast, golf swing, enjoy your amazing sail boat or ride around heaven with the top down DAD -GO FOR IT

Dad was 85 when he passed. I saw him only 3 times since the divorce due to horrible family issues. I was able to make amends with him a few years ago.
So sorry for your loss, and glad you were able to make amends.

Greg, I'm so sorry for your loss. It may be little consolation, but I would like to offer you and your family my deepest condolences, and please be assured of my prayers.

Kenneth

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
You have my sincere condolences during this most difficult time, Greg. May your Father rest in peace. I'm glad you & your Dad healed the rift.

Steve Saville

WFF Supporter
Sad tale. It's so bad when folks are forced to choose. I lost my dad 30 years ago and still think of him daily. My mom, too even though they went through similar circumstances. I never lost contact with my dad even though my parents spoke once in a while in curt conversations. After some fifteen years of divorce they finally made amends and spoke now and then. They're both gone now but in my thoughts often. I am sorry for your loss.

Greg Price

Love da little fishies
Dad had told me he wanted his ashes spread on the Yakima River Canyon section. This may or may not happen due to family dynamics, but if my sister chooses to allow this I will fulfill his request. It would not surprise me if he had a change of mind after the divorce

Tim Carroll

Losing any loved one offers a rough emotional road with unique personal feelings that often last a life time. The feelings you expressed are obviously heartfelt and honest to the core of your soul. Fortunately, your memories give life to your Dad. Embrace each. The best, the average and regretful ones.....they are all from him, worth cherishing and to be thankful for.

With heartfelt condolences to all those who knew and loved your Dad......May he Rest In Peace.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info