How would you target a massive trout in a log jam?

JesseC

Spent a fun day fishing the yakima. Of course - I couldn't be happy just fishing normal spots, and instead was creeping around big log jams peering into the water for unmolested monsters.

Unfortunately enough, they were in there. Tucked behind the fly stealer of all fly snaggers - there was a group of big boy trout hovering about 8" off the bottom in 3.5-4' of water. They were heavies, like tube sock full of pennies heavy....

I had a dry fly tied on (wishful thinking) and tried creeping up curtis creek style - I was able to launch a couple casts right into the back of the log for about as good of a drift as you'd hope. But of course, these leviathans of the trout world gave no sh*ts. I'm sure they were engorging themselves on nymphs, living the good life.

The trout were about 2' behind a big log. There's no way to approach them upriver - as they were tucked in behind the log jam in about a 8' section of water that then hit a tasty slick pocket of cut bank.

I was considering tying a big heavy ass nymph and dapping it in there - but by that time, all my wrastlin' had spooked them away and I had to accept my incompetent failure.

So - hey - figured I'd poll this forum of esteemed and well mannered fisherpeoples. How would you attack it? Screen Shot 2021-04-13 at 12.25.13 PM.png

CreekScrambler

If you couldn’t sink your densest nymph down to them, I think the clunkiest streamer and sink tip combo would likely deliver a fish.

When I say clunky, I mean something with dumbbell eyes and zero casting finesse.

At least with the streamer setup, you could pressure the fish hard enough to land it.

kmudgn

First, you have to be prepared to lose a lot of flies. After that, side arm cast upriver from the jam and further out than the jam. As the fly floats to the jam, pull on the line so that the fly just "kisses" the wood and hope for the best.

Rob Allen

You asked what we would do so that's how I am answering .

I like to do fishing that is fun. If it's not fun for me I'd rather go do something else..
I'd plop a streamer in front of them, watch them scatter. Then move onto something better.

If these guys are big like you say then they probably stay tucked under that log jam during the day and come out at night to feed on smaller trout. Visit the place after dark with a big streamer.. That's what I'd do if I was bent on catching those fish.. mostly though I'd be just as happy to sit and watch them for a bit until I was ready to go catch smaller fish on my elk hair.

Old Man

A very Old Man
WFF Supporter
I would of gone with a size 18 to 20 black Zebra nymph in there with a weighted red SJW as the top fly. If they are eating nymphs going small would be the way I would go.

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Supporter
That drawing is an instant classic!

personally, weighted streamer, big enough to make it worth their while, super fast sinking streamer line, get under everything. 20lb, 8-10wt, yard them out if you're fortunate enough to hook one.

Canuck from Kansas

WFF Supporter
You asked what we would do so that's how I am answering .

I like to do fishing that is fun. If it's not fun for me I'd rather go do something else..
I'd plop a streamer in front of them, watch them scatter. Then move onto something better.

If these guys are big like you say then they probably stay tucked under that log jam during the day and come out at night to feed on smaller trout. Visit the place after dark with a big streamer.. That's what I'd do if I was bent on catching those fish.. mostly though I'd be just as happy to sit and watch them for a bit until I was ready to go catch smaller fish on my elk hair.
Yup, that's about what I do. I watch 'em and think "you got me beat" and "that's why you got as big as you are". I figure there's no way I could ever got a fly to them and even if I did and got a hook-up, there's no conceivable way I would land it. That beast would wrap around a log so fast, not a chance.

cheers

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts