How would you target a massive trout in a log jam?

Kirk Singleton

Capt Kirk
reminds me of a "log jamb" that I know of on my friends farm on the Yakima river. Every time I send a Hopper or similar fly into the jamb, I let sink deep into the jamb, I either catch a nice fish or the fly gets hung up and gets lost. I have sacrificed a lot of flies on those logs!

Last edited:

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
WFF Supporter
reminds me of a "log jamb" that I know of on my friends farm on the Yakima river. Every time I send a Hopper or similar fly into the jamb, I either catch a nice fish or the fly gets hung up and gets lost. I have sacrificed a lot of flies on those logs!
I'm usually able to avoid snagging dry flies I can drift up tight to logs with a long T-rod, but lose a lot of wets and nymphs when I can't see exactly where they are drifting.

wadin' boot

Donny, you're out of your element...
WFF Supporter
Pretty sure I got the title for my next story just from this drawing:

Armless Bob and Jesse C fish a Runoff Logjam

Excerpt:

"Why do they call you Bob anyway?"
"Well it's kind of a joke"
"Oh How so?"
"Well what do you call a guy with no arms and no legs in a lake"
"I don't know, Steve?"
"No. He's called Bob."
"I don't get it?"
"nevermind..."

Bob kept casting with his chin, his platysma flexing in the sun, false casting with his suprisingly motile ears. Meanwhile he worked his way downstream, carefully, patiently. His wadin' boots were eroding. The roofing cement he used to re-felt the boots was coming undone. Bob didn't know the soles were close to separating from his cheap boots. The runoff was too strong for him to feel that through his feet. HIs feet were amazingly sensitive on account of having no arms. He never expected that.

Ahead of him was the logjam, the logjam that Jesse told him had the big-ass mf fish. Between him and the logjam was that stretch of slippery bedrock. Slippery like a bowling ball covered in foot lotion. He'd already seen Jesse take a dunking. And he knew he was gonna have to play it safe. On account of having no arms to balance with. He would do what he always did ever since the accident. He would Bob.

What he didn't know was the adhesive forces of roofing cement on poorly prepped cheap-ass before-the-accident wadin' boots. He shoulda ground the old felt down further. But you can only grind felt to the base of boot so much when you use your good ear for grinder-holding muscle.

The logjam was enormous....but so where the trout...or at least that's what Jesse said. Speaking of Jesse, Bob had seen him slip and fall. And now it occurred to him, he didn't see Jesse get up....

1619737341267.png

Last edited:

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts