Tippet cut welded loop, fixed?

MGTom

Living at the place of many waters
WFF Supporter
I have a bunch of old 444 lines with braided loops put on the ends. I recently got a cortland euro line and a trout boss with welded loops and have not had an issue. When cleaning and putting stuff away Sunday I noticed the coating on the welded loop on the new SA Amplitude Infinity line was cut. I emailed the Gorge Fly Shop and they got right back to me stating I just needed to use a little aqua seal to tack the edges back down. They mentioned it usually happens with a big tug on a small diameter. I had a 15# UG butt section, and did pull one out of the weeds. I may change it, but the recommended fix and changing to a 20# chameleon butt seemed to work.
20210412_115047.jpg
20210413_120010.jpg
At least it held up for several of these little piggies.
20210413_073650.jpg

jrodell27

Tailing Looper
Thanks @MGTom - recently found a fly line of mine with the same issue and was just going to leave it alone; now I will have to add some aquaseal before using it again. Much appreciated tip and advice!

MGTom

WFF Supporter
Going against the grain here. I cut those loops off and use the tried and true nail knot.
I have not ruled that out. Since this will be used almost exclusively to fish indicators I was thinking knot on a base to which I can just attach 8#ug or whatever. I'm going to hold off until after I read Tim's stillwater book and think about it.
I should mention I liked that line on the echo stillwater rod so I'm not upset or even tempted to ditch it. Just disappointed I guess.

Last edited:

Steve Saville

WFF Supporter
Relatively, welded loops haven't been around all that often. I always used a nail knot until the Tie Fast tool hit the market. No loop? I merely tie a short butt section on the end and put a loop in it. Then I can loop to loop the leader. Haven't had one fail yet.

MGTom

WFF Supporter
Relatively, welded loops haven't been around all that often. I always used a nail knot until the Tie Fast tool hit the market. No loop? I merely tie a short butt section on the end and put a loop in it. Then I can loop to loop the leader. Haven't had one fail yet.
Thanks for the plus on the idea. I have 4wt lines with a nail knotted chameleon butt with perfection loop, and it does work well.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
WFF Supporter
Thanks for the plus on the idea. I have 4wt lines with a nail knotted chameleon butt with perfection loop, and it does work well.
That's what I usually do. Often I'll make a butt section like that out of an old tapered leader.

MGTom

WFF Supporter
I'm just going to leave the braided loop attachments on my old lines as I'm so used to them and I know they are solid, but I don't think I'll go that way again in the future. Certainly not on a floating line again, the sinkers aren't really an issue.

5weight

I have a bunch of old 444 lines with braided loops put on the ends. I recently got a cortland euro line and a trout boss with welded loops and have not had an issue. When cleaning and putting stuff away Sunday I noticed the coating on the welded loop on the new SA Amplitude Infinity line was cut. I emailed the Gorge Fly Shop and they got right back to me stating I just needed to use a little aqua seal to tack the edges back down. They mentioned it usually happens with a big tug on a small diameter. I had a 15# UG butt section, and did pull one out of the weeds. I may change it, but the recommended fix and changing to a 20# chameleon butt seemed to work.
View attachment 278213
View attachment 278214
At least it held up for several of these little piggies.
View attachment 278215
It doesn't look like an Agua Seal fix to me.

cmann886

I typically make a small double loop about 1-2 inches long from hollow core nylon line and use that to protect the factory loop. It is essentially the same as your braided loop but with a loop on both ends. Typically I also add a drop or two of a flexible UV glue to make certain that the loops won't pull out. It doesn't seem to impact my casting any and it does a great job protecting the factory loop.

Zak

WFF Supporter
WFF Supporter
That's what I usually do. Often I'll make a butt section like that out of an old tapered leader.
I make nail knot a short 3-4" section of 25# bright fluorescent Amnesia to my fly line with a perfection loop on the leader end. It works as an indicator/sighter.

jaredoconnor

WFF Supporter
am i seriously the only angler who clinch knots the leader to the welded loop??\

25 or 30lb maxima mono, never had an issue.

I used to do this, but it eventually cut through. I probably change my leader more often than most, though.

I now use a short piece of 20lb Maxima, tied on with a needle nail knot, and attach a tippet ring to that. It's a lot smoother and seems like it will last a long time.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
WFF Supporter
am i seriously the only angler who clinch knots the leader to the welded loop??\

25 or 30lb maxima mono, never had an issue.
Flyfishing 101, Chapter one, page 7, third paragraph clearly states; "Make no single knot connection when it is clearly best to complicate things with more loops and knots."

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts