Questions Regarding Mounting a Trolling Motor on a One Person Pontoon

BigSky

I have a Scadden Outlaw X5 on which I'm considering mounting a trolling motor. I have two torn rotator cuffs and rowing any distances is getting rather tiresome. Anyway, I'm looking for any and all input people may have as to mounting an electric trolling motor, how you decided to do it, what size you chose and why, what other criteria you made in your selection(s) and any other things you feel would beneficial input for others. I'm not too eager to pay for the Scadden version as they are a) rather spendy, and, b) not readily available. Pictures, if you have them, would be very helpful. Thanks in advance.

Elliott5400

Never mounted one on a pontoon. But I just installed one on my inflatable rib with aluminum floor.

Check out the interstate DCM0035 battery. I believe this is the lightest and compact you can find. AGM deep cycle. Trolled a 55lb thrust with 3 people in boat for 4-5hrs and still had juice. Was using a minn kota with the digital optimization, which helps conserve battery when used on lower speeds.
20210403_151831.jpg

Last edited:

Haggis57

Check out this YouTube video of Scadden's Mike Andreasen boat. I think the metal frame is similar to yours. Most of these show the motor mounted off the back of the rear shelf which keeps the motor closer to the center of gravity and makes for easier steering as well.

I took a look at Scadden's motor mount and made my own PVC motor mount for my Fish Cat Scout. This would put the motor further away you for steering purposes though.

30 lbs trolling motor is lots for these boats. Top speed seems to be limited by the hull more than the motor size.

Scadden Rebel csi.jpg

MelW

Certified Curmudgeon - GET OFF MY LAWN!
@Sagebrush I think has an X5 that he powers with an electric trolling motor. Perhaps he will chime in on his experience.

Sagebrush

I have the X5 and enjoy using it on the large lakes. I'm running a MinnKota 30lb thrust with 30 inch shaft. you don't want to go any longer than that. I have mine set up pretty similar to Haggis57, with the motor attached to the cargo shelf and between the U portion. It stays pretty well out of the way there. It looks like I do the same as Haggis and pull the motor straight up when coming to shore. ( I always disconnect the battery first as have a fear of accidentally turning it on and slicing the tube).
The only thing I don't like is having to reach around to turn the motor on and off, I find it a bit of a stretch. Having the motor sure is nice and allows you a lot of mobility, although I still use my fins for trolling.

20200727_060812.jpg

BigSky

I have the X5 and enjoy using it on the large lakes. I'm running a MinnKota 30lb thrust with 30 inch shaft. you don't want to go any longer than that.
Thanks for the good input so far all. Sagebrush may have saved me a headache. I found a used, like new, Minn Kota for sale that I almost bought until I saw the "no longer than 30" shaft" recommendation. This one has a 36" shaft and I assumed it was short enough and had not measured yet. I will have to go back and check out how much adjustability it has.

Last edited:

Haggis57

The only thing I don't like is having to reach around to turn the motor on and off, I find it a bit of a stretch.
A simple option for on/off control is to add an inexpensive "Big Foot" or "Sure Foot" trolling motor switch to the battery circuit. This YouTube video shows one way of wiring in the switch. I used this for a couple of years before I added a PWM controller to the motor. It worked great - you can either give the motor a quick bump or use the level keep it on. You only need to reach back to the motor to change speeds. The picture in my first post is of a group of guys from Utah that I have seen fishing in Manitoba. I noticed that they steer with their fins rather than reaching back to move their motor.

An alternate way of steering is shown in this video. I'm using this setup on the Minn Kota on my Fish Cat Scout and it works great.

Like Sagebrush, I do most of my fishing and trolling with my fins and primarily use the motor for changing locations. Since I'm not trolling with the motor, I went with a smaller 35 Amp-hr battery to keep the weight down.

Ken

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts