Don't open this thread if you don't like Euro nymphing...

msteudel

Mark Steudel
I feel like with euronymphing having a good drag on a reel is more important than ever. Utilizing light tippet for getting flies down means you sometimes need to have smooth drag when a big fish turns into the current.

But still I think it's awesome people are making up products out there trying to come up with new ideas. This would be very sweet for any backpackers looking to shave off a few ounces.

doublebluff

Go Beavs
I enjoyed reading about it but I just don't see the utility. It would be such a mess if a fish needed to run, not just getting the line out, but also getting it back in. And of course that would be "the fish" that you wouldn't want to lose.

Interesting video though- thanks for posting.

jaredoconnor

WFF Supporter
Fish running is definitely the Achilles heel of this system. However, unlike tenkara, you do have some ability to not fish a fixed line.

I wouldn't use a system like this anywhere that I am expecting fish in excess of 22" or so. For my local rivers, where a 20" fish is a trophy, I could see it having benefits.

Unfortunately, they say it won't work on rods that have a fighting butt. Both of my euro rods have fighting butts, so it is a non-starter for me.

msteudel

Mark Steudel
Fish running is definitely the Achilles heel of this system. However, unlike tenkara, you do have some ability to not fish a fixed line.

I wouldn't use a system like this anywhere that I am expecting fish in excess of 22" or so. For my local rivers, where a 20" fish is a trophy, I could see it having benefits.

Unfortunately, they say it won't work on rods that have a fighting butt. Both of my euro rods have fighting butts, so it is a non-starter for me.
I just love that people are trying to come up with new way to do things. More choices are in general better for consumers right?

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Supporter
There’s no reason that kind of keeper wouldn’t work perfectly well for creekin’. It looks like dog’s balls, but I see no reason to exclude it. I’d prefer a version of this that resembled an open reel spool on a minimal frame to absolve it of its current hideousness.
I mean, fly fishers/bug slingers/fairy wand wielders are already mocked enough by the general public (not to mention other fisherfolk). This would be an entirely new level of mockery.

Ricardo

A good friend of mine just bought this, and I am eagerly waiting from some feedback from him. I have mixed feelings about it. In my opinion, Tenkara rods allow the fixed line concept because of their flexibility, and a euronymnphing rod, although more flexible than a conventional fly rod, does not get to that bending capability level. Now, I also get a tired shoulder from euronymphing, so the idea of weight reduction is more than welcome. It is interesting that this kind of device did not show up in Europe at all, for people have been doing euronymphing for longer than a decade now...

jaredoconnor

WFF Supporter
A good friend of mine just bought this, and I am eagerly waiting from some feedback from him. I have mixed feelings about it. In my opinion, Tenkara rods allow the fixed line concept because of their flexibility, and a euronymnphing rod, although more flexible than a conventional fly rod, does not get to that bending capability level. Now, I also get a tired shoulder from euronymphing, so the idea of weight reduction is more than welcome. It is interesting that this kind of device did not show up in Europe at all, for people have been doing euronymphing for longer than a decade now...

Please report back, when you get their input. I'm very interested to hear anything about this. The product has been around for about a year, but I couldn't find any first hand reports about how well it works.

jaredoconnor

WFF Supporter
I emailed the guy, because I was curious how a fish can run without snapping your tippet. I figured you need to have already pulled of adequate line. He said that you hold your non-rod hand below the "reel" and let the fish pull the line off, which makes complete sense now. This gives you two points of pressure and your two hands basically become the drag. If you watch one of the videos, you can see him reel in a lot of line and do it quite quickly. Each wind takes up about a foot of line, which is obviously a lot more than a fly reel.

If I wasn't blocked by the whole fighting butt problem, I would absolutely give one of these a try. Hopefully they release a new model that has more space.

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Supporter
Soooo, the cynic in me wonders, "how could one throw a 10wt all day with a 9" fly and be marginally (if that, even) tired, but to euro nymph for a few hours is exhausting?" Granted, I've never felt the need to do it for that long straight because personally, I use it when nothing else works just so I can get on the board. That said, I can see why folks like it because you can certainly put up some absurd numbers of fish where other techniques may not do quite so well. That (that) said, I think there's also a reason that the folks who are competing aren't using something like this. That tells me all I need to know (not that innovation is bad, just that on occasion, it's unnecessary).

DerekWhipple

someone came up with this not too long ago, except it was a plastic circle that attached to a rod. I don't think it got very far, obviously.

I think you definitely need a reel euro-nymphing if there are any decent size fish around, since 5-7x tippet are commonly used. Hook a 16" deschutes redside (or if you are lucky, a steelhead!) and you better need a reel.

Fishing water where a 12" fish is a whopper, then yeah, this won't hold you back. Go for it.

By the way, if you are having issues holding the rod up for long periods of time, you might want to look into Indian clubs (politically correct nomenclature, since they come from India). Doing exercises with 1-3lb weights can really help your forearm and shoulder stamina. Or you can fish a BC style centerpin rig like an old sage with a hardy silex all winter and when trout fishing opens and you pick up the fly rod, it will be like night and day!

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
WFF Supporter
Someone posted something up like that once before. Even over here in the land of little fish I hook something big enough to get to the drag, and there is always a chance encounter with that steelhead that goes to the backing. Hate to loose the fish of a season to play with a neat little gadget.
My 3 weights have only a fraction of the amazing fish-fighting flex that my fixed line T-rods and K-rod do. What size tippet is commonly used?

MGTom

Living at the place of many waters
WFF Supporter
My 3 weights have only a fraction of the amazing fish-fighting flex that my fixed line T-rods and K-rod do. What size tippet is commonly used?
I was fishing 3x the day I hooked this, but with 4x on the other fly. When they roll out of their hiding spot into the current and head down stream not much you can do to stop them.
20210312_123936 (2).jpg

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts