New boat to me, first float?

kyle kerr

Just picked up a willies it’s old but in great shape. I’ve taken the rowing class through Reds but other than that I don’t have much experience with rowing. My question is, is Tualco boat launch in Monroe down to Cady park in snohomish a good start for someone who is new? Or are there any other

I’m just trying to get out there early and get some experience before the crowds show up.

Thanks!

Attachments

• D3C14657-327A-4AEE-AB65-202D4F2121C7.jpeg
    D3C14657-327A-4AEE-AB65-202D4F2121C7.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 52
  • 6AA7D0B3-7222-4B61-91DB-8F83A841F498.jpeg
    6AA7D0B3-7222-4B61-91DB-8F83A841F498.jpeg
    182.9 KB · Views: 52
  • 8797872F-3426-43CA-93A1-122486A24489.jpeg
    8797872F-3426-43CA-93A1-122486A24489.jpeg
    168.1 KB · Views: 52

long_rod_silvers

WFF Supporter
Good looking boat!

If by "other than that I dont have much experience with rowing" you mean literally you don't have experience rowing other than that class, I'd suggest hitting up a couple lakes first and practicing what you learned until its a bit more learned and not something you're going to be figuring out on the river.

Second what BK said about Ben Howard to Lewis. Super simple float. But, I've seen "new" rowers flip boats even on that stretch.

Not trying to scare you, it's a simple float, but if you literally have that little rowing experience I'd suggest some stillwater practice sessions to get your basic moves figured out/dialed in before going to moving water.

kyle kerr

Good looking boat!

If by "other than that I dont have much experience with rowing" you mean literally you don't have experience rowing other than that class, I'd suggest hitting up a couple lakes first and practicing what you learned until its a bit more learned and not something you're going to be figuring out on the river.

Second what BK said about Ben Howard to Lewis. Super simple float. But, I've seen "new" rowers flip boats even on that stretch.

Not trying to scare you, it's a simple float, but if you literally have that little rowing experience I'd suggest some stillwater practice sessions to get your basic moves figured out/dialed in before going to moving water.
Yeah that’s all I have for experience I do plan on going to a lake this weekend to start practicing, but yeah I don’t have much experience I’ve always been on the boat fishing never rowed.

Brandon

Floatin'
Yeah that’s all I have for experience I do plan on going to a lake this weekend to start practicing, but yeah I don’t have much experience I’ve always been on the boat fishing never rowed.
Just bring a buddy with you that has experience. I learned from my friends that guide in Alaska years ago, and I've let a few of my friends learn the ropes on my boat as we do simple floats.

I would also suggest going on a few more floats as a passenger, paying attention to the difficult obstacles in the river and how they navigate tricky water. Getting around log jams, rowing over boily water, etc. all takes experience and is something to be very cautious about but its not that hard in most cases. Even the first time you are rowing down that kind of water, have someone with rowing experience talk you through it. It'll make a world of difference.

JayB

Super steep sandy bank/drop-off with a root wad a foot or two downstream of Tualco as of last summer. Pass unless you are trying to add PITA retrievals to your learning experience.

WAS

Great looking boat, Baker trailer and Sawyer oars. Have some good times with it and your friends. If you're lucky you'll find a pretty girl to row.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts