Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Trout rescue on Saturday - Lenore

3K views 29 replies 12 participants last post by  Matt Paluch 
#1 ·
Hey everyone - If anyone is able to come help rescue trout on Saturday, I could certainly use all the help I can get. The creek at Lenore is warm, has low flows, and is jammed full of trout. My kids and I rescued a bunch last year, and we were asked to do this again this year. WDFW knows we'll be there. Please let me know either in the comments or through DM if you plan on helping. It would be particularly helpful if you have a boat net and/or buckets for transporting fish. The more fish we save from the creek, the more are in the lake to catch.

#7 ·
Just trying to get an understanding about this but what's the reasoning behind the resue..? Sounds like it would make for a fun day and if it wasn't for COVID travel restriction (I'm from Canada), I'd really like to help..
The creek is too full of fish for it's size, and that's leading to low oxygen levels. Moving fish out will hopefully keep them alive. There are always a few around 3 feet long in there. It would be nice to keep them alive in the lake for anglers. The department of fish and wildlife has already spawned enough of the fish to raise at the hatchery.

#15 ·
Great idea on documenting the process. Thanks for taking the project on.

Matt-maybe you are away, given the communication with WDFW. Any idea why in recent years, fish are not congregating in the north end like years past?

My understanding is the underground spring has dried up.

#21 ·
Good job you guys. That looks like a lot of work. Lifting over that cyclone fence and all... Thanks so much for doing this. Even though I don’t fish there, know that your efforts are really appreciated.

Is there a valid reason that WDFW can’t put up even a temporary barrier on that “creek” to keep the fish from going up there? It’s such a waste and shame to see them dying like that.

#22 ·
Good job you guys. That looks like a lot of work. Lifting over that cyclone fence and all... Thanks so much for doing this. Even though I don't fish there, know that your efforts are really appreciated.

Is there a valid reason that WDFW can't put up even a temporary barrier on that "creek" to keep the fish from going up there? It's such a waste and shame to see them dying like that.
Normally it wouldn't be an issue this time of year. Flows are way lower than normal. Last year we rescued fish in May, and the flows were still higher than this. My understanding is that the last two years have been worse than most. Even with the number of fish dying, that's still a small portion of the population in the lake. Maybe 1% - probably less.

#24 ·
Very cool, thanks. BTW, where is the creek in question on Lenore? South end, north end or somewhere else? I initially assumed north end but looking at maps and satellite views I see no creeks anywhere on that lake. At least none with water in them.

thanks, andy

#29 ·
Glad to see a few got to swim away.That pile of carnage right by you guys had to stink though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.