Alternatives to Simms G3's

Cliff

Wow, a LOT of things to think about, thank you all for your suggestions. I will take a look at all the non-Simms waders that have been mentioned. I certainly appreciate all the advice.

Cliff

jaredoconnor

WFF Supporter
I used to be a die hard Simms devotee. Redington waders and boots were really bad at that time; sizes were inconsistent, the neoprene socks were a weird shape and reviews were poor. Things seemed to get better around the time that Redington started using sonic welding. However, you could get GoreTex waders from Simms, for the same price.

Redington really stepped up their game, about 5-7 years ago. One of the larger fly shops, in the Yellowstone area, were responsible for me giving Redington another try. The first time I went on a guided trip with them, they had a few new Redington waders/boots. I tried one set and was impressed. I went back a couple of years later and they had fully transitioned to Redington, excluding some older gear that was still usable.

The guide told me that they don't buy top shelf wading gear anymore; they prefer to buy 2 sets of cheaper products, because they always end up lasting far longer. He also said that they found mid level Redington gear was better than entry level gear from other brands, at the same price.

I've stuck with Redington ever since and don't see any reason to change. I will probably give Simms another try, one day, just out of curiosity. However, I don't see myself spending big money on wading gear anymore, particularly now that I live in Washington; our freestone rivers are slippery and full of boulders, which means more falls and more damage. If I was only fishing lakes or Puget Sound, I would probably be less concerned about durability and might consider comfort to be a higher priority. My mid level Redington waders are definitely thicker and stiffer than the GoreTex Simms that I used to have.

I still buy a lot of other stuff from Simms though. In particular, Simms neck gaiters and sun hoodies have no equal.

Last edited:

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
I used to love Simms waders and their clothes for that matter, but their stuff used to be much roomier then it is now in my opinion.
I feel like I’m wearing wader leotards if I layer up in their waders for winter fishing.
I’ve been getting 3-4 years out of Redington Sonic Pros, which is fine for the amount of fishing I do and what I pay for them.
SF

Darby

I've been in the same pair of Dryfts since the fall of 2015 (~30-40 days a year) with no patches or aquaseal. The only part of the waders which are beat up are the gravel guards which have been updated to neoprene since I purchased mine.
I don't fish a ton of salt water, so I have no experience there. My fishing buddies with more expensive waders have done multiple repairs to their waders which they purchased well after I got mine.
They can get toasty on a sunny day in the warmer months but that is really the only negative comment I can make about them.

Great product at a very reasonable price. I will get a new pair from them once my current pair is no longer serviceable.

Agree same pair since 2016, and with my disability I'm tripping and falling constantly. No rips, tears, or leaks. This and @herkileez Riverstick wading staff are best things I've purchased for fishing.

landlocked

WFF Supporter
If there’s a broad correlation between Audi and Simms I want nothing to do with Simms. 90 % of the Audi drivers around here drive like a-holes oblivious to the everything but their cell phone.

have had great luck in the last 6-7 years with Rio Azul and Rio Gallegos zip ups. Been buying my waders from Sierra, including some clearance Allen and Co wading pants that I used about 20 days last summer/fall with no issues. Those cost a whopping $55. Not sure I’ll go back to $300-plus waders ever, much less 600-plus.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
WFF Supporter
but their stuff used to be much roomier then it is now in my opinion.
That seems to be happening with a lot of my clothing!

I'm of the buy cheap and on sale or used stuff. Current count of waders is at 8...I think. I don't fall nearly as much now that I use a staff.

ceviche

Agree same pair since 2016, and with my disability I'm tripping and falling constantly. No rips, tears, or leaks. This and @herkileez Riverstick wading staff are best things I've purchased for fishing.

I'm in need of new waders and decided to go with DRYFT, despite their stock being sold-out in my size for the model that I want. It looks like you get more bang for the buck, due to their direct sales approach that cuts out the middleman and passes the savings to the customer.

Kirk Singleton

Capt Kirk
Believe it or not but I have over 20 years of abuse on a pair of G3’s and have never leaked a drop! i Know that they can't possibly last much longer so I have been asking around and most of the people I know are going with the Patagonia right now.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts