They are just messing with us!

BriGuy

I have a question for those of you that fish chironomids under indicators. Is the take usually fairly obvious, or is it really subtle like the video depicts?

I've only done it once or twice, but plan on trying more of it this year.

Irafly

Indi Ira
WFF Supporter
This is why I personally use the two tone pear shaped indicators. They tend to pick up these subtle takes better. In fact with heavier flies, when the fish takes the bottom of the indicator will actually come up because the weight of the fly pulling the indicator down has been relieved.

If my indicator does anything out of the ordinary, I set the hook. With that though, I know that I’ve missed takes because I’ve seen fish take my fly and not noticed my indicator move at all. But this also happens with streamers, so...

BriGuy

This is why I personally use the two tone pear shaped indicators. They tend to pick up these subtle takes better. In fact with heavier flies, when the fish takes the bottom of the indicator will actually come up because the weight of the fly pulling the indicator down has been relieved.

If my indicator does anything out of the ordinary, I set the hook. With that though, I know that I’ve missed takes because I’ve seen fish take my fly and not noticed my indicator move at all. But this also happens with streamers, so...
Thanks! Good to know for next time. My reference is panfish with worms. Usually you know when something happens.

Looking forward to trying it on trout with a fly. I do have a couple of the two-tone pear-shaped indicators you describe.

Now if only you can help me pay attention better...

Irafly

Indi Ira
WFF Supporter
Thanks! Good to know for next time. My reference is panfish with worms. Usually you know when something happens.

Looking forward to trying it on trout with a fly. I do have a couple of the two-tone pear-shaped indicators you describe.

Now if only you can help me pay attention better...

Oh, I struggle to focus as well. I miss takes all the time because I’m looking at my other indicator, or the birds, or the wind, or my fly box, etc... but when I do focus, I want to be looking at something that will do the job the way I want it done.

bakerite

This is really a "sixth sense" situation. Was fishing this weekend and the takes were super subtle. To what Ira says I would add "If I even think my indicator does anything out of the ordinary". Sometimes I just think I should set the hook without seeing anything and I am usually right.

GAT

Dumbfounded
One advantage to the little yellow self adhesive Cortland indicators sold long ago is that they were such small piece of foam, it didn't take much to sink them and when they sunk, it was a hit. The downside, of course, is that they were a one time use and you couldn't easily mover them up or down your line.

Now that we have larger adjustable indicators it isn't always as obvious so you need to watch them very carefully as Ira mentioned. But I too, like bakerite, often rely on the "zen" of indicator fishing -- you just know there is a hit.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts