Bright Lights and Bird Migration

Canuck from Kansas

WFF Supporter
Lights out alert! For the next three nights migration numbers will be high with an estimated 3.5 million birds passing through Washington tonight. Eighty percent of our terrestrial migrants in North America migrate at night. Let's help them on their journey! It's as easy as turning off nonessential outdoor lights!

Check it here: https://aeroecolab.com/washington
Looks like Oregon too. Thanks for the alert, Tyler!!

Cheers

Jim Darden

Lights out alert! For the next three nights migration numbers will be high with an estimated 3.5 million birds passing through Washington tonight. Eighty percent of our terrestrial migrants in North America migrate at night. Let's help them on their journey! It's as easy as turning off nonessential outdoor lights!

Check it here: https://aeroecolab.com/washington
Shouldn't we leave all the lights on so the birds can see where they are going........

P

plecoptera419

I have been a waterfowl hunter most of my life. I am quite certain the birds are quite capable of navigating at night regardless of us turning off the lights. :rolleyes:

Irafly

Indi Ira
WFF Supporter
I have been a waterfowl hunter most of my life. I am quite certain the birds are quite capable of navigating at night regardless of us turning off the lights. :rolleyes:

Ornithologist who have studied this issue vigorously will disagree with your anecdotal evidence.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
WFF Supporter

Canuck from Kansas

WFF Supporter
Yeah, but those were east coast birds, what do they know.

cheers

We always keep a dark house at night. I grew up in the country and think nighttime should be dark. I am always amazed at how many people in our neighborhood keep lights on all night; some on all sides of their house, including floods. Those same folks wouldn’t think of leaving an outdoor speaker blaring music, or a water sprinkler spraying water on their neighbors’ homes. Why do they think it is okay to shine lights in their neighbors’ windows?

long_rod_silvers

WFF Supporter
We always keep a dark house at night. I grew up in the country and think nighttime should be dark. I am always amazed at how many people in our neighborhood keep lights on all night; some on all sides of their house, including floods. Those same folks wouldn’t think of leaving an outdoor speaker blaring music, or a water sprinkler spraying water on their neighbors’ homes. Why do they think it is okay to shine lights in their neighbors’ windows?
RightHilariousAmericancrayfish-size_restricted.gif

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts