Tires, Dealer alternatives to LS

FlyRod

Lots of votes for Discount - I bought a set of tires for our Subaru from Discount Tire and I'm very satisfied with the wear and traction (Continental Control Contact). The downside is Discount Tire is 58 miles one way from Ephrata. 116 miles for a flat repair, 116 miles for rotation.

I priced Tire Rack and Discount when it came time to replace the tires on my truck. I ended up going with LS because I can drop the truck off and walk home in 15 minutes. Tire Rack installers are in Quincy or Moses Lake - each about a 40 mile round trip for any service needs. No thanks. I might pay more for the tires at LS but at least I don't have to sit in some damn tire store for an undetermined amount of time.

I guess there are some benefits to living in a bigger city rather than a small town - we have LS and Walmart.
I recently had the Continental Control Contact tires installed on my 2013 F-150. Very satisfied with them. Very quiet ride.

SSPey

My town doesn’t have a “Discount Tire” and I want a local install if any issues come up, so have bought several times from TireRack (online) and had them drop shipped to a local Firestone for install. Great price. I also just bought tires through Costco and it was even cheaper due to a sale, quick no hassle

PS: no matter where or what you buy, check out tire reviews on TireRack from real users. Only major brand not covered is Toyo, which I owned once and won’t own again.

Reactions: jwg

wanderingrichard

My town doesn’t have a “Discount Tire” and I want a local install if any issues come up, so have bought several times from TireRack (online) and had them drop shipped to a local Firestone for install. Great price. I also just bought tires through Costco and it was even cheaper due to a sale, quick no hassle

PS: no matter where or what you buy, check out tire reviews on TireRack from real users. Only major brand not covered is Toyo, which I owned once and won’t own again.
Same sentiments for me regarding TOYO tires.

Robert Engleheart

Robert
WFF Supporter
Tire Rack reviews are a great resource that I use when shopping for new tires. I use Tire Rack for R-compound tires for the Miata as they are hard to find elsewhere. I don’t use them often as my local independent tire shop will come close to their price and does all the LS benefits like rotate and rebalance and I’m supporting a local busines. I did just use Costco for new shoes for the Avalon as they had $150 off Bridgestone Turenza that Tire Rack rated #2 in class. I used another $100 in Costco rewards. Costco is 8 miles away and in a small town of 60K and rarely busy.
I don’t use LS as they carry self-branded tires and they have tried to sell me parts I didn’t need.
Heard good things about Discount Tire but closest one is 40 miles from me.

Reactions: jwg

jwg

Thanks for all the responses. Got my tires from DT and they were $50 less per tire than the same model from LS.

Let me explain about deciphering LS.
I had quotes at 3 price points from LS.

Expecting to go to DT instead,
I looked at consumer reports for tire ratings, and picked a couple I could get from DT with good ratings in criteria that mattered to me.
One was Continental Cross Contact LX25

I noticed the name of the Continental tires I was considering from DT was the same as the name of a tire from LS on the quote, except, LS left off the word Continental. It said Cross Contact LX25 on the quote. It happened to be the tire at the highest price point.

I compared pictures, of Cross Contact LX25 on LS site, and other web sites where they were labeled as Continental Cross Contact LX25, and they had identical tread pattern

The DT price was a full $50 less per tire than the LS price quote I had received.

Later searching at the other tires quoted by LS without brand names, it looks like they may have been made by Federal and Mastertech.

Happy for all the advice and reassurance here about DT, and I know the quality of the tires I got as rated by consumer reports, and also feel like I was not trapped by a retail giants marketing tactics and sales practices in a situation I was uneasy about.

Jay

Yak

Recently trying to get a set from Discount as had good luck with them in the past few sets. This time did not have my size and thought they had ordered from another location to be delivered in a week. Couple calls later when I got someone who knew what was going on said the tires were on back order for them and could not tell me when they would get a set but it would likely be weeks.

Went to Tire rack online and also called them and they had a set in a local wharehouse in Seattle area. Gave me referrals to installers and they had them delivered to the installer next day. Dropped the SUV off and installer (Omni Brake and Tire in Kirkland) was very good. Happy with the overall experience.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts