NFR So as not to derail...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canuck from Kansas

WFF Supporter
May have been built in to go sideways, given the OP was about my sideways interaction with the batshit crazy crowd; not lettin' anyone off the hook though.

cheers

jaredoconnor

WFF Supporter
Someone in my wife's family has been resistant to getting vaccinated. I've only heard concerns regarding blood clots, deficiencies in testing, politics and so on. However, last night I discovered how far it really goes; they support Trump and believe he will become president again in August. They've gone down the Q anon rabbit hole. Thankfully, they haven't got caught up in anti-mask nonsense, somehow.

The craziest part is that this person is a retired oncologist.

Matt Paluch

WFF Supporter
Someone in my wife's family has been resistant to getting vaccinated. I've only heard concerns regarding blood clots, deficiencies in testing, politics and so on. However, last night I discovered how far it really goes; they support Trump and believe he will become president again in August. They've gone down the Q anon rabbit hole. Thankfully, they haven't got caught up in anti-mask nonsense, somehow.

This is why evidence is more important than expert opinion. We saw it with the so called "Frontline Doctors of America." They relied on a call to authority rather than actual medical science. Put someone in a white lab coat in front of a camera, have them say what people want to believe, and they sway the opinions of many people. Unfortunately, many of us have forgotten our high school level science education that teaches us to use evidence to develop our understanding of what is happening.

Swimmy

Practice your craft.
WFF Supporter

Get them a login, asap.

jaredoconnor

WFF Supporter
I think the phrase "idle hands are the devils workshop" applies to a lot of this conspiracy crap. A lot of people are bored, stuck at home, going a bit loopy and getting sucked in. I doubt the aforementioned individual would have ever believed that garbage, had they still been working and not been in a pandemic.

long_rod_silvers

WFF Supporter
You're not a "free thinker" by posting all the same things every other pandemic denier is sharing on social media. You're not even really thinking. You're just searching for sources that confirm your bias - then posting them here and expecting everyone else to suddenly agree. I posted 13 actual peer reviewed studies from respected scientific journals that have stood up to criticism, and you didn't even acknowledge them. That's not our adversity to challenge and thought, its yours. Read the studies I posted, unless you can't handle the challenge and thought.
I appreciated you posting those articles. A couple of them in particular reminded me how important masks + social distancing is and that masks alone (the ones with the cute designs and the buffs and bandanas - not N95) don't have a great filtering efficacy. Also reminded me how bad ass N95s are. Anyway, for what it's worth I appreciated you taking the time to send those studies thru.

Matt Paluch

WFF Supporter
I appreciated you posting those articles. A couple of them in particular reminded me how important masks + social distancing is and that masks alone (the ones with the cute designs and the buffs and bandanas - not N95) don't have a great filtering efficacy. Also reminded me how bad ass N95s are. Anyway, for what it's worth I appreciated you taking the time to send those studies thru.
Masks are best at keeping our germs to ourselves. They do provide some level of personal protection, even the cloth homemade masks, as long as they are made of the recommended materials and are multi-layered. The possibility does exist that the masks can achieve variolation - the ability to reduce viral load enough to prevent severe disease or death. This comes with the caveat that people are wearing the right masks, and wearing them completely over their nose and mouth.

DimeBrite

5X Celebrity Jeopardy Champion

Even a mask won't protect against the ideology of Qanon Theory.

COVID Aliens.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts