Giant Stonefly?

fly-by

WFF Supporter
This guy landed on my office window today, which is about 50 ft off the NF Snoqualmie. There have been sporadic hatches of smaller stoneflies for the last few weeks, but this is the first of these I've seen. Interested to hear any thoughts on identification. Pardon the clarity of the pencil/scale photo. 2021-04-19 15.44.36.jpg 2021-04-19 15.44.36.jpg 2021-04-19 15.45.06.jpg 2021-04-19 15.45.06.jpg

Lett

Want more time on the water
WFF Supporter
Concur. Pteronarcys Californica. Bring a rock to stand on when the word is out these are hatching on the Deschutes.

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Supporter
Last 7-8 (probably closer to 10) years the D hatch has really started in early May & yeah, bring your own rock. Probably won't really have that problem on the Snoqualmie forks.

Matt B

WFF Supporter
Last 7-8 (probably closer to 10) years the D hatch has really started in early May & yeah, bring your own rock. Probably won't really have that problem on the Snoqualmie forks.
That is probably true, however for the forks, you may want to bring your own fish that is large enough to fit a salmonfly in its mouth.

Edit: On second thought, I can imagine a school of those feisty little sharks teaming up to drown and dismember a salmonfly adult.

Last edited:

PhilR

WFF Supporter
That is probably true, however for the forks, you may want to bring your own fish that is large enough to fit a salmonfly in its mouth.

Edit: On second thought, I can imagine a school of those feisty little sharks teaming up to drown and dismember a salmonfly adult.

Kinda like those little guys trying to drown hexes in the Cascade lakes.

MGTom

Living at the place of many waters
WFF Supporter

True on both accounts here. It's funny, if one refuses a cast they all will. And if one takes and doesn't get it they attack until one does. Frustrating and hilarious. 6 2xl and small fish

Attachments

• 20210428_072416 (2).jpg
    20210428_072416 (2).jpg
    828.4 KB · Views: 18

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts