WTB Shorty glass rod - Barclay, Steffen, Scott, etc. & reel

brmtn

... streaming ... ...
Sold most of my creek rods last year... now looking for a 7' or shorter 2-4wt fiberglass rod... what's out there?

Especially interested in:
Scott maroon or black glass 703 or an F2 653
Steffen 6' 2-3wt
Barclay 64p, or Blue Ridge Special or similar
Ijuin 703 or similar

Also would be interested in UL or XUL glass spinning rods or fly rod blanks.

Thanks WFF!

Last edited:

Salmo_g

WFF Supporter
I have a couple Cabela's glass rods in 2 and 3 wt. I thought I would use them for creek fishing, but haven't. They are short, like 6' or so.

Seahawks

One of best new rods I’ve ever cast 6-2 ft 4 piece 2wt Scott fiberglass , hands down way better than Orvis superfine glass. U have lots to like , great build , 4 piece that’s rare in glass , fits in most daypacks , true 2 wt , if u use wrist it will lay it out 30-40 ft even in wind with a size 10 parachute adams .

ajwilly

One of best new rods I’ve ever cast 6-2 ft 4 piece 2wt Scott fiberglass , hands down way better than Orvis superfine glass. U have lots to like , great build , 4 piece that’s rare in glass , fits in most daypacks , true 2 wt , if u use wrist it will lay it out 30-40 ft even in wind with a size 10 parachute adams .
I’ve been super interested in that f series. What line works best with the 2wt?

G-Mo

Ever heard of Graywolf Rods? Michigan builder of nice fishing glass rods on a variety of blanks. I have a 6'6" 2wt (Kabuto blank) and a 8' 3wt (Kabuto blank) and an 8' 5wt (local blank).

I might be talked into letting one go if interested. Site address below...
gm

brmtn

... streaming ... ...
Ever heard of Graywolf Rods? Michigan builder of nice fishing glass rods on a variety of blanks. I have a 6'6" 2wt (Kabuto blank) and a 8' 3wt (Kabuto blank) and an 8' 5wt (local blank).

I might be talked into letting one go if interested. Site address below...
gm

Yes, I have corresponded with Shane a few times... Interested in the 6'6" 2wt... Could you send me a couple pics and a price?

Thx

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Supporter
Man, if I fished for trout more (especially small stream), I'd be looking long and hard at a Kab (3 or 4wt for me....just more versatile), but I'd probably end up with a 3/4 7'9" Steffen.....even for the tiniest of streams.

Gorgefly

Just picked up an F Series 7ft 2in 5 piece and it’s butter smooth . Now I wanna fish more creeks just to use it. Sweet rod.

Seahawks

On the Scott 2 wt , the orvis lines made for there glass rods original pre 2020 version are money , matter of fact I bought everyone one they had left from 2-4 wt .
Those lines are killer , they even worked best on my Winston 8 ft pure 4wt , also old Orvis 2 piece 2 wt , think first they ever made 7-9 if I remember right , came alive with that line . Think they called it superfine glass line , they made another version , teamed with SA , most likely way more durable , exact taper but I didn’t like it near as much . Sometimes coating can completely ruin a fly line . Ace vision , had best scandi way back 2006 or so , they changed coating and it sucked after that .

brmtn

... streaming ... ...
Man, if I fished for trout more (especially small stream), I'd be looking long and hard at a Kab (3 or 4wt for me....just more versatile), but I'd probably end up with a 3/4 7'9" Steffen.....even for the tiniest of streams.
Yeah, Kab has been in my mind for some time; never tried one. My smallest/lightest rod at the moment is a black glass Scott 764/3... Very similar to the Steffen you mention. Steffens make up the bulk of my modest rod collection and I love them. Here in the mtns a sub 7' rod comes in handy some times (a lot)... I had a Barclay 64p I sold here last year and shouldve kept it.

brmtn

... streaming ... ...
I have a couple Cabela's glass rods in 2 and 3 wt. I thought I would use them for creek fishing, but haven't. They are short, like 6' or so.
Thank you... I tried a CGR and it wasn't quite what I was looking for. Fantastic value though. Appreciate the offer.

moon1284

Kabutos are going to be slightly heavier and faster than steffens. Steffens have a long wait. I've never used one but Barclay seems to specialize in short low line weight glass rods. Paddock is another one if you can find one - his rods are very highly regarded. McFarland probably has some short glass rods too.

Hard to go wrong with a scott too, although I hate the bleached cork Scott uses now and their epoxy work leaves a lot to be desired vs their rods from years ago.

Seahawks

If I were u wouldn’t go above true 3wt and say short, no longer than 7 ft . Glass rods get heavy , with all the light graphite rods made in past ,with smooth action like lots of Winston’s , it seems better option to fish graphite in 4 wt and above

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts