Do you strippers count?

Salmo_g

WFF Supporter
That is, while fishing and after having cast, when you strip line back in, do you count the number of strips you make? For example, when fishing a single hand rod on a stream, I often cast to structure for sea run cutthroat and make 3 strips, pick up, and re-cast. If steelheading, I'll strip shooting line back in this sequence: 4, 3, 2, pick up and feed the last 2 strips into my backcast, then shoot the rest with the forward cast. Commonly, when I'm steelhead fishing with a 2-handed rod, I make 8 strips of shooting line, then pick up and re-cast shooting the stripped line into the next cast.

I asked a fishing friend about this recently, and he said he always counts the number of strips. He can cast a hella' long ways with the 2-hander, so he needs to count the strips back in like: 10, 8, 6 to keep all that shooting line from tangling. I learned that I can cast my Spey rod more than 8 strips, but I get tired of counting frankly. And 8 strips is generally plenty far enough where I fish. And if I use 10 or more strips of running line, the frequency of line tangles increases above my tolerance threshold.

So what do you strippers do? Count them, just strip line in randomly, or something else? If something else, what is it?

Porter

No I do not count, but I do change retrieval length and speed. Much like changing a fly when you think something else might work better, I will change my retrieval rhythm. From short quick strips, to long and slow, or a mix but usually a pattern like two short quick and then one long slower pull ...repeat. I find it funny because when I feel I’m in a hot spot I will usually slow my strip down in anticipation of a hit.

long_rod_silvers

WFF Supporter
Yeah I count with the two hander, but I count in multiples of three, because I'm weird. And because that's how often I make a new coil/loop.

I dont count when streamer fishing, just re cast when I'm far enough away from whatever holding lie I was targeting.

I do count in lakes sometimes, but only with a sinking line and only on how many strips I'm taking off the reel. Not when stripping in.

NRC

WFF Supporter
Fishing the sound, where the game is basically blast it out there a mile and then strip all the way to your leader, I most definitely count. In fact, I’ve developed an annoying tic where I essentially start stripping to the beat of whatever random shitty song is stuck in my head. I hate it because it gets the song stuck in my head worse, but it’s pretty effective for randomizing the presentation and programming in some brief pauses (whole rests) as well.

Not to derail, but I’d be curious to hear folks’ optimal song choices for this application.

NRC

WFF Supporter
Fishing the sound, where the game is basically blast it out there a mile and then strip all the way to your leader, I most definitely count. In fact, I’ve developed an annoying tic where I essentially start stripping to the beat of whatever random shitty song is stuck in my head. I hate it because it gets the song stuck in my head worse, but it’s pretty effective for randomizing the presentation and programming in some brief pauses (whole rests) as well.

Not to derail, but I’d be curious to hear folks’ optimal song choices for this application.
“Oh Christmas Tree” is a real lip ripper of a song, but holy hell does it suck to have stuck in the brain.

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Supporter
I don't count, but I do strip all of the way to my feet. considering how many fish (all sorts of species) that I've caught at my feet or at the boat, for me it's well worth it. Then again, I'm not fishing the sound for SRCs.

I don't, but if I did, given my penchant for ripping it, it would likely be some sort of speed metal.

That said, for some odd reason, I'm often whistling Sweet Caroline when I fish.... ¯\_ (ツ)_/¯

wetswinger

Fishing the Sound, I bring it all the way in to the tippet so as not to miss the desperation strike. But, to get some action on the fly I count the strip and pauses to music. One, two , three is a waltz 3/4 time, and one,two, three, four is a pop song, 4/4time. God it does drive me crazy tho, like counting the steps as I walk to the car or counting the reps as I exercise. Literally have to turn my brain off and meditate...but then I count my breaths...

NRC

WFF Supporter
Fishing the Sound, I bring it all the way in to the tippet so as not to miss the desperation strike. But, to get some action on the fly I count the strip and pauses to music. One, two , three is a waltz 3/4 time, and one,two, three, four is a pop song, 4/4time. God it does drive me crazy tho, like counting the steps as I walk to the car or counting the reps as I exercise. Literally have to turn my brain off and meditate...but then I count my breaths...
So it’s not just me!

Irafly

Indi Ira
WFF Supporter

Eye of the Tiger for certain, but I’m digging the idea of Oh Christmas Tree.

Reactions: NRC

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts