Joys of Opening Day

Greg Price

Love da little fishies
Year ago I calculated forecast trout plantings in Pierce County Seasonal lakes vs the lake size. This gave me a ratio of trout plants per acre.

One of the top trout per acre lakes has rarely disappointed over the years. I normally hit it within the first few weeks of opening day, if not opening day.

Yesterday at 10 A.M. it dawned on mecthat it was actually opening day.

The boat ramp is normally crowded morning to early afternoon on opener. Late Afternoon normally sees less pressure.

I got to the lake around 5 PM. Only 6 rigs parked at boat ramp, 2 of them with trailers. The constant rain discouraged many. Bonus! Fish rises spotted on the lake.

Fished from 5:30 to 8:30. 5 nice trout to hand, 4 our of 5 at least 11 inches, one 7 inch small mouth and nice fat bluegill.

What a fun, relaxing opener. The 11 inch fish were fat and athletic. Each jumped multiple times before being netted and let go.

See pic. The cooler is almost 12 inches wide, so that we fish is 11 plus inches.

Do you think it is a triploid?

Last edited:

Bruce Baker

Year ago I calculated forecast trout plantings in Pierce County Seasonal lakes vs the lake size. This gave me a ratio of trout plants per acre.

One of the top trout per acre lakes has rarely disappointed over the years. I normally hit it within the first few weeks of opening day, if not opening day.

Yesterday at 10 A.M. it dawned on mecthat it was actually opening day.

The boat ramp is normally crowded morning to early afternoon on opener. Late Afternoon normally sees less pressure.

I got to the lake around 5 PM. Only 6 rigs parked at boat ramp, 2 of them with trailers. The constant rain discouraged many. Bonus! Fish rises spotted on the lake.

Fished from 5:30 to 8:30. 5 nice trout to hand, 4 our of 5 at least 11 inches, one 7 inch small mouth and nice fat bluegill.

What a fun, relaxing opener. The 11 inch fish were fat and athletic. Each jumped multiple times before being netted and let go.

See pic. The cooler is almost 12 inches wide, so that we fish is 11 plus inches.

Do you think it is a triploid?
If you tell me what lake (a pm if fine if you like), I might be able to tell you. WDFW is currently conducting an evaluation of stocking diploid vs. triploid trout. Several lakes were stocked with both and the triploids had the adipose fin clipped. One Pierce Co. lake even has some of them implanted with acoustic tags to track their movement. If you prefer not to mention the lake, I can just send you a list of the lakes. I can also send you more information about the project. Perhaps I'll make a post about on the forum.

Greg Price

Love da little fishies
Way better planters than the slimy, skinny planters of my childhood. These fish are almost twice the size, have shoulders in them and are athletic. Hooked 7 tonight. Of those, landed 5 and most were at least 11 inches!

c-dawg

WFF Supporter
According to WDFW's trout planting schedule for 2021, there's only one seasonal lake in Pierce that will receive "Jumbos," but that is not scheduled until May. However, that lake did receive 1,000+ fish at 1 pound each a few weeks ago, according to the stocking reports. What's interesting is it appears that lake receives the most plants per acre prior to opening day, but the least amount of plants over the course of the season, according to WDFW. Sounds like @Bruce Baker would know for certain if that is indeed true, though.

bakerite

One of my favorite local lakes receives three plantings of jumbos during the summer. Make for some fun days, but has also made this area more popular, something it doesn't need. The local biologist likes it because a larger percentage of the fish get caught and taken home, a good goal for stocked trout.

Bruce Baker

According to WDFW's trout planting schedule for 2021, there's only one seasonal lake in Pierce that will receive "Jumbos," but that is not scheduled until May. However, that lake did receive 1,000+ fish at 1 pound each a few weeks ago, according to the stocking reports. What's interesting is it appears that lake receives the most plants per acre prior to opening day, but the least amount of plants over the course of the season, according to WDFW. Sounds like @Bruce Baker would know for certain if that is indeed true, though.
Where did you see that this lake getting stocked over the course of the season? If I have correctly figured out the lake, last year the lake only received three plantings of trout, 2 in April and 1 in May.

MGTom

Living at the place of many waters
WFF Supporter
Great report, sounds like fun. We've appreciated the size and number of fish WDFW has stocked for us too.

Greg Price

Love da little fishies
Great report, sounds like fun. We've appreciated the size and number of fish WDFW has stocked for us too.
Good on the state!!! Hope they continue the good work. Not sure how they make em athletic, but I am all on decent fish that jump and put a bend in my rod, even if I throw them back for the next angler to bonk and take home

Last edited:

c-dawg

WFF Supporter
Where did you see that this lake getting stocked over the course of the season? If I have correctly figured out the lake, last year the lake only received three plantings of trout, 2 in April and 1 in May.
It's the 2021 Stocking Plan. So really I'm just speculating what the lake will actually get for stockings. Given how people hate hotspotting even stocked put-n-take lakes, I'm hesitant to say what lake I looked at. However, I did note that last year it received fingerlings of a species in April, along with jumbo rainbows in April, and catchable rainbows in May. But I could be looking at the wrong lake, too. :)

MGTom

Living at the place of many waters
WFF Supporter
Good on the state!!! Hope they continue the food work. Not sure how they make em athletic, but I am all on decent fish that jump and put a bend in my rod, even if I throw them back for the next angler to bonk and take home
We throw many back too. But I don't feel too bad when trying a new fly like the blob, and end up killing it for deep inhalation. I've also figured out I won't fish them certain places.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts