Wanted Inexpensive or loaner fast action 9' 8wt w/ line & reel

dennisoft

Maybe an unusual request, but I'm looking to either borrow or purchase an inexpensive fast-action 8wt for some lawn casting practice.

My partner and I are planning to do some bonefishing in Hawaii later this year and need to get out and work on our casts before the trip. Ideally we'd like to find a complete set including rod, line, and reel that somebody could either part with or loan out to us for a few months.

Also WTB guide recommendations for the big island.

Thanks!

LyNcH

Steelhead Junkie
I have a Sage Salt HD that I am looking to sell that I only used one time, but it won't fall into the inexpensive category....

I will be looking to get $500. :confused:

Sorry, that is all I have as an extra in the 8wt category.

Merle

Maybe an unusual request, but I'm looking to either borrow or purchase an inexpensive fast-action 8wt for some lawn casting practice.

My partner and I are planning to do some bonefishing in Hawaii later this year and need to get out and work on our casts before the trip. Ideally we'd like to find a complete set including rod, line, and reel that somebody could either part with or loan out to us for a few months.

Thanks!
Just curious what gear are you planning to use when you actually go over to fish? I’d say buy your good gear now and use that to practice with. Or do you want the loaner gear for the trip as well? Maybe I’m not understanding the request.

Mems on this site I think guides on the big Island, he’s a good source of info too. He helped me out for a trip I’m taking in a couple weeks.

Andy

sroffe

I would go to a pond or sound and cast. You'll get a better feel for picking the line up off the water. As other have said, you might want to practice with what you're going to use.

On the other hand I do have a 8wt rod I'd let go. It's build on a Rainshadow RX 8 Blank. I fished it in Hawaii one year. I'm not a super caster, but, it did the trick for me. I'd even let a warm water line go with it.

Merle

I would go to a pond or sound and cast. You'll get a better feel for picking the line up off the water. As other have said, you might want to practice with what you're going to use.

On the other hand I do have a 8wt rod I'd let go. It's build on a Rainshadow RX 8 Blank. I fished it in Hawaii one year. I'm not a super caster, but, it did the trick for me. I'd even let a warm water line go with it.
I have the same rod, 8 wt on a Rainshadow RX8 blank (mines not for sale though!)... I built it for Kodiak Island silvers in September. Very fast action and will launch an 8wt Outbound like a rocket.

dennisoft

Just curious what gear are you planning to use when you actually go over to fish? I’d say buy your good gear now and use that to practice with. Or do you want the loaner gear for the trip as well? Maybe I’m not understanding the request.

Mems on this site I think guides on the big Island, he’s a good source of info too. He helped me out for a trip I’m taking in a couple weeks.

Andy

Thanks for the advice, will see if I can get some info from Mems. If you don't mind me asking, where are you going to be fishing out there and what for?

Regarding gear, I was planning to fish with whatever gear our guide provides us with. We're only going to be fishing for a day or maybe two while we're on the island and I don't have a lot of use for an 8wt here in Seattle so I was figuring that would be the easiest and most cost-effective option.

dennisoft

Agreed we will surely try to get on the water some between now and then.

What are you asking for the rod and do you by chance have a reel to complete the outfit?

Merle

Thanks for the advice, will see if I can get some info from Mems. If you don't mind me asking, where are you going to be fishing out there and what for?

Regarding gear, I was planning to fish with whatever gear our guide provides us with. We're only going to be fishing for a day or maybe two while we're on the island and I don't have a lot of use for an 8wt here in Seattle so I was figuring that would be the easiest and most cost-effective option.
Ah ok I get it now. Makes sense if you are planning to use the guide's gear.

I'm going to the west side of the big island, the Kohaala coast. Hopefully I'll post up a report when I get back. (If we can get the testing squared away to be allowed to visit. That's turning out to be a bigger logistics hassle than I anticipated.)

Andy

Richard E

Thanks!

Where you located in Seattle?

dennisoft

Ah ok I get it now. Makes sense if you are planning to use the guide's gear.

I'm going to the west side of the big island, the Kohaala coast. Hopefully I'll post up a report when I get back. (If we can get the testing squared away to be allowed to visit. That's turning out to be a bigger logistics hassle than I anticipated.)

Andy
Looks like some beautiful coastline over there, will look forward to seeing some photos from the trip.

Good luck with that Covid testing. I am hoping we get a policy change in the next few months to accept vaccination cards rather than going through with their current process..

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts