Harbinger of the Summer To Come - Montana

Northern

It's all good.
WFF Supporter
Thread drift.

Seems reasonable. Who brings a spinning rod to one of world's best fly fishing destinations?
A dyed in the wool, MN North Woods walleye fisherman. You should see the looks I get when I whip out a fly rod up there! (You can walleye fish with a fly rod. It's pretty stupid. I do it anyway, because I like it :cool: )
The difference between swinging a weighted streamer on a fly rod and swinging a small Mepps on a spinning rod seems mostly philosophical to me...but snobs will be snobs.
He mostly wants to know if they'll just sneer, or if they're likely to get confrontational.

Last edited:

Matt B

WFF Supporter
A dyed in the wool, MN North Woods walleye fisherman. You should see the looks I get when I whip out a fly rod up there! (You can walleye fish with a fly rod. It's pretty stupid. I do it anyway, because I like it :cool: )
The difference between swinging a weighted streamer on a fly rod and swinging a small Metz on a spinning rod seems mostly philosophical to me...but snobs will be snobs.
He mostly wants to know if they'll just sneer, or if they're likely to get confrontational.
I'm not a Montana local, but I've fished there a good bit, and have seen people fishing spinning gear plenty. I think that if anyone were to give him guff, they'd probably be an out-of-stater. Fights on the fishing grounds is more of a Washington thing.

Northern

It's all good.
WFF Supporter
I'm not a Montana local, but I've fished there a good bit, and have seen people fishing spinning gear plenty. I think that if anyone were to give him guff, they'd probably be an out-of-stater. Fights on the fishing grounds is more of a Washington thing.
Excellent- thank you!

MT_Flyfisher

Doing a MT trip this Oct with my sibs and staying in a rental right on the Yellowstone, outside the park. My BIL specifically asked me to track down the water access rules so we don't trespass - so thanks for the link!
He's also concerned about getting harrassed for using a spinning rod (I'm the only fly fisher) even though he's perfectly willing to go single barbless. Is that likely?

We do strive not to be clueless ;)
Over the years I took a friend who spin fished on the Yellowstone many times. He always preferred to sit in the back of my boat while I often had another person who fly fished in the front. We never had anyone make any negative comments about him spin fishing, and he invariably caught the biggest fish.
(He used small spinners with 4# test line, and always replaced the treble hooks with a single barbless one.)

quilbilly

Big Time Hater
I was 13 and using a fly with a bobber in Yellowstone the first time I caught a nice trout. A guy at one of the fly shops in West gave me a couple flys, showed me how to rig them with a bobber, and sent me off to the river.
My dad was sort of amused by the whole thing as I was pretty stoked to fish, especially in Montana. Guy at the shop said cast short, feed line so the bobber floats along naturally, and yank if the bobber goes under.
The Orvis dude ( yes even in '73 they had 'em) watching me was a bit pissed, kid with no fly rod and all, lack of knowledge, uncouth teen and all that.
He was probably was even more pissed when I did as I was told, yanked on the pole when the bobber went down, and a bit later downstream I was holding the biggest trout I'd ever seen...same thing the Orvis guy said.

:)
Enjoy your trip.

Northern

It's all good.
WFF Supporter
Over the years I took a friend who spin fished on the Yellowstone many times. He always preferred to sit in the back of my boat while I often had another person who fly fished in the front. We never had anyone make any negative comments about him spin fishing, and he invariably caught the biggest fish.
(He used small spinners with 4# test line, and always replaced the treble hooks with a single barbless one.)
I was 13 and using a fly with a bobber in Yellowstone the first time I caught a nice trout. A guy at one of the fly shops in West gave me a couple flys, showed me how to rig them with a bobber, and sent me off to the river.
My dad was sort of amused by the whole thing as I was pretty stoked to fish, especially in Montana. Guy at the shop said cast short, feed line so the bobber floats along naturally, and yank if the bobber goes under.
The Orvis dude ( yes even in '73 they had 'em) watching me was a bit pissed, kid with no fly rod and all, lack of knowledge, uncouth teen and all that.
He was probably was even more pissed when I did as I was told, yanked on the pole when the bobber went down, and a bit later downstream I was holding the biggest trout I'd ever seen...same thing the Orvis guy said.

:)
Enjoy your trip.
Awesome - thanks y'all!
I don't think he'd care much if an "Orvis dude" hassled him...but I wouldn't want to be in the vicinity if they said something nasty to his wife or one of my other sisters.

Sorry for the thread drift - but we do want to be respectful tourists while still enjoying ourselves! It's a once-in-a-lifetime for most of them.

Camo Clad Warrior

Thanks for the post.

As someone who will be visiting Montana for the first time this summer I will read the link and get a good understanding before we head over.

Cant way to get over there.

Last edited:

Gyrfalcon21

Honoring Vets
Thanks for the post.

As someone who will be visiting Montana for the first time this summer I will read the link and get a good understanding before we head over.

Cant way to get over there.
A lot of destination fishing nowadays in not unlike visiting the Colosseum in Rome. You go there for the history and scenery, or memories. Not expecting to see gladiators in action. : )

Sidenote: Everyone needs to go and see the Little Bighorn battleground site!

Last edited:

Canuck from Kansas

WFF Supporter
Sidenote: Everyone needs to go to see the Little Bighorn battleground site!
Ya really do. I visited in the early 90's. It was July and had to be 100 F. The Parks folks were in period garb, cannot imagine how hot it was under those uniforms. They told the story of the battle, talk about everything that could go wrong, going wrong. The grave sights on the hill are really pretty moving.

cheers

BDD

From all of my time of being in Montana and around the Yellowstone area, I’m convinced that either (a) 50% of the people in this world are total idiots, or (b) people tend to become stupider the farther they are from home.

p.s. the numbers may be even higher for people coming from Colorado or California.

(c) the world is full of bastards, the number increasingly rapidly the further one gets from Missoula, Montana.

bakerite

One of my long time friends and fish the Yakima together about once a year. He is a long time mepps guy and almost always out fishes me size wise even though he's usually running the boat. He will pull a 18-20" fish out almost every time we go. He also lives in Ellensburg and has fished that river about as much as anybody.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts