Harbinger of the Summer To Come - Montana

Solitude

A dyed in the wool, MN North Woods walleye fisherman. You should see the looks I get when I whip out a fly rod up there! (You can walleye fish with a fly rod. It's pretty stupid. I do it anyway, because I like it :cool: )
The difference between swinging a weighted streamer on a fly rod and swinging a small Mepps on a spinning rod seems mostly philosophical to me...but snobs will be snobs.
He mostly wants to know if they'll just sneer, or if they're likely to get confrontational.
Don't think anyone is going to get confrontational unless he's fishing illegally. They might sneer or think bad thoughts though.....I know I always do.....lol..... just kidding. Even die-hard walleye guys can learn to fly fish though.... loan him a rod and teach him how to do it right.

Buzzy

It is a quote from Norman McLean in "A River Runs Through It". I think the intent was no matter which direction one went from Missoula, east, west, north, or south...well you get the idea.
The quote seemed familiar but I couldn't place it. I guess time to read the book again (3rd time is the charm?).

dustinchromers

In the past few months two separate YouTube channels posted videos of their fishing trips to YNP last summer. Both were secretive about where they were fishing, but having fished the park for over 30 years I quickly figured out all of the spots - except one. Well, my buddy figured it out pretty quickly. They were fishing a permanently closed section of the Yellowstone! Silly me, I was only considering waters that were open to fishing.

So two unrelated parties fishing closed waters in YNP and posting photos and videos. One of the channels had only a couple very short clips and claimed to have lost the files from their SD card. I suspect they figured it out later, but still had to post the hero shots. They also operated a drone in YNP, which is incredible ballsy.

As we often see, the thirst for social media cred and likes makes people stupid and/or unethical.

If they can pass laws enhancing penalties because it's a hate crime or a school zone why can't they pass a law that enhances penalties for a crime being documented for social media. You know a "narcissistic idiot crime". It almost seems a legitimate enhancement being that the crime will often be imitated, reposted, then virally become a problem and a gate, fence, or some other deterrent installed. There's a couple places around me we used to visit you can't get near anymore because idiots have to go all Instagram out on a decaying railroad trestle or the like. Most of course from way far away in the concrete jungles of counties lost and helms deep.

Last edited:

Northern

It's all good.
WFF Supporter
Don't think anyone is going to get confrontational unless he's fishing illegally. They might sneer or think bad thoughts though.....I know I always do.....lol..... just kidding. Even die-hard walleye guys can learn to fly fish though.... loan him a rod and teach him how to do it right.
Hey, Solitude!
He actually does sorta know how to use a fly rod...but that would leave my other 6 sibs to teach:confused:
They'll probably only fish a couple times, so not really worth it - old dogs, new tricks.

MT_Flyfisher

Hey, Solitude!
He actually does sorta know how to use a fly rod...but that would leave my other 6 sibs to teach:confused:
They'll probably only fish a couple times, so not really worth it - old dogs, new tricks.
Bubba from Texas caught this nice brown with spinning gear on the Yellowstone early last summer. I don’t mind the spinning gear, but by the way this brown’s being handled its chances of survival weren’t going to be very good. (Not my picture, put on Facebook by a friend.)

BF4155D2-0733-40FC-8E77-32F41E418E32.jpeg

DimeBrite

5X Celebrity Jeopardy Champion
A couple years ago I was driving along the Gallatin canyon and was surprised by the large number of fly anglers. Stonefly hatch might have been the reason. SW Montana fishing in 80s and 90s was fun, but even then many rivers had big crowds. The key is to maintain maximum public access: don't change the stream access laws and work with private property owners to open new access corridors.

Northern

It's all good.
WFF Supporter
Bubba from Texas caught this nice brown with spinning gear on the Yellowstone early last summer. I don’t mind the spinning gear, but by the way this brown’s being handled its chances of survival weren’t going to be very good. (Not my picture, put on Facebook by a friend.)

View attachment 280148
Maybe they were gonna eat it. From what I see in the regs, it's not CnR only.
I take it keeping is frowned on, regardless?

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
My understanding is Montana is still the best place going for the folks that live there 6-8 months out of the year.
I hear Arizona is pretty nice as well.
SF

Last edited:

tirefire

View attachment 280148
They look like good dudes to me. Maybe its food for them, and good food at that.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info