Harbinger of the Summer To Come - Montana

Shad

As a Washington angler who has only recently discovered what makes fishing in Montana so great, I fully support Mike's concerns and any way he chooses to deal with people breaking the rules.

What makes Montana great (beyond the obvious things like the quality and numbers of fish) is ACCESS to a tremendous amount of water that flows through private property. In Washington, trespassers and litter bugs have cost us a tremendous amount of such access. Montana locals and trout bums from everywhere benefit from the most favorable stream access laws you're likely to find anywhere in the world, but as has been said, that law is under constant attack, and the more reasons we give land owners to legitimately complain, the more imperiled it becomes.

The other thing is that people usually know when they're trespassing or doing anything else to bend the rules and attempt to gain advantage, but not always. Heck, I've had several occasions where I've been walking along what appears to be open territory to suddenly find myself in a clearing with a house on it. As soon as I figure out I'm trespassing, I find the shortest path off the property and take it, even if there isn't an angry person with a shotgun instructing me to do so, because whether I agree with their point of view or not, I need those people to be at least tolerant of people moving along their property if I hope to have anyplace left to fish. In other words, I don't have to agree with them, but I do need to respect them.

Of course, courtesy and understanding are critical to all these interactions, whether it's with misbehaving anglers or pissed off property owners. You catch more flies with honey than vinegar, they say....

Salmo_g

WFF Supporter
Trying to spit it out, but my thumbs are too big for my phone, and the blue "post reply" button is too easy to hit. But stay tuned!
I guess this is one reason why I find it hilarious that people do email and internet on their cell phones. My limit is two sentences in a text message. One finger typing makes no sense to me since the invention of full size keyboards.

DimeBrite

5X Celebrity Jeopardy Champion
Upland game bird hunting in Montana has gotten tougher in recent years since many private land owners now charge fees to hunt on their property. Once it was easy to knock on a door, have a pleasant conversation, then do some hunting.

In Colorado I got to know some ranchers, which gave me access to some great fly fishing.

Shad

Upland game bird hunting in Montana has gotten tougher in recent years since many private land owners now charge fees to hunt on their property. Once it was easy to knock on a door, have a pleasant conversation, then do some hunting.

In Colorado I got to know some ranchers, which gave me access to some great fly fishing.
Nothing like getting in with a landowner the old-fashioned way. Reminds me of a story from my youth in Colorado.

I spent a lot of hours dunking salmon eggs and worms in the small creek about a mile from our house as a young lad. I got into fly fishing when I was 10 or so. About the same time, I started exploring the creek beyond the holes right off the side of the road. One day, I went upstream a little further than I had before, and I came upon a beautiful run in the creek that was full of good-sized trout. I also noticed a house about 50 feet away, with a man standing on the porch looking at me. He beckoned me over and asked what I was up to. I said I was just exploring the creek and was really interested in fishing that hole. He said he would let me fish it if I could show him barbless hooks on my lures. I told him I didn't have any barbless hooks, but I would come back later with some.

Well, I, being a 10-year old worm dunker until oh so recently, didn't really know what he meant, and I showed up at his house the next day with a #14 Adams with the hook point cut off. He let me fish. It was years before I understood why he had a little chuckle when I proudly presented my fly....

Old Man

A very Old Man
WFF Supporter
Gee, Mike, I expect that was tedious. Very few people want to confront someone--or be confronted --when on the water. The problem is that encounters can
You want to know what keeps all the smart ass questions and retorts out of here. If new people on here would put your location on your first couple of posts and tell us a little about your experience at fly fishing and what type of fly fishing your interested in. A little info on here goes a long way.

landlocked

Based on projected river levels in Wyoming and Utah this year, I’m taking ALL my summer trips to Montana! YEE-HAW, look out Old MAN AND SWIMMY!! Here come some more dad gum Utards!!

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info