MA 13

fishbadger

Thanks for the heads up. . .not that I was going to fish it any time soon anyhow, but I have to wonder which stock they're referencing when they say "Marine Area 13 salmon fisheries are known to intercept listed Chinook".
fb

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
Thanks for the heads up. . .not that I was going to fish it any time soon anyhow, but I have to wonder which stock they're referencing when they say "Marine Area 13 salmon fisheries are known to intercept listed Chinook".
fb

Hard to say.
I was surprised a couple years ago at a NOF meet WDFW talked about folks catching mid canal stock chinook in MA 11.
SF

quilbilly

Big Time Hater
MA 12 and the entire Dabob Bay area is closed also, so don't you MA 13 bros come up this way...
;)

Reactions: XP

Stonefish

I think ESA listed White River spring Chinook are still being cultured and released from Minter Ck hatchery. I think Minter is in MA 13.

It does appear they are still raising White River springers at Minter, so that may be it.
SF

Jake Dogfish

I think the issue is the hood canal wild chinook.
Some of them go spend time in South Puget Sound. Most likely natural straying, but Wdfw likes to think they are coming back.

Stonefish

I think the issue is the hood canal wild chinook.
Some of them go spend time in South Puget Sound. Most likely natural straying, but Wdfw likes to think they are coming back.

My memory isn’t quite what it used to be.
If remember correctly it was 39 mid canal chinook that shaped some of our fisheries back in 2019 and it was most of those fish were offspring of hatchery strays.
That is at least how I remember it based on the Mill Creek NOF meeting that year.

Hopefully someone will correct me if I’m wrong on that.
SF

fishbadger

No that sounds about right (mid canal stock).

As for the White River stock, raised in the Puyallup and also at Minter, there's enough returning to support a viable fishery, due to that long-standing hatchery program. That stock has never constrained anything. In fact it did so well that they clipped them for awhile so that we could target them for retention. And yes they were as delicious as you'd think they'd be. They stopped clipping them at the tribe's behest (shocker), not because the stock is tanking. Also, its return into MA13 waters peaks shortly after the June 16 opener, so you can rest assured that is not the limiting stock.

I bet it's the mid canal stock. And even that's a stretch in early May that one would be in area 13. July maybe there's one, but not May. I suspect it is just an administrative CYA move, to ensure fisheries are not prosecuted that haven't been approved by all the right folk,

fb

Dizane

Coast to Coast
I don't believe the action is related to any one particular Puget Sound chinook stock. As fb said, and as stated in the release, current ESA authorization expires today so any fisheries after today would not be covered, and won't be covered until ESA authorization is provided for 2021-22.

I think the more interesting question is whether this lapse in coverage is due to a delayed NOF or the Fish NW lawsuit that was filed Wednesday evening. I would guess the first, but the timing is curious.

wetswinger

Fishbadger, It's interesting to hear you mention clipping the fish for retention. In MA13 the Squaxin Tribe runs the net pens program for the Residential Silver Salmon. They were given a grant last year to expand the program, increasing the number of fish available for us recreationalist. I am a big fan of these fish and actually target them more than the SRC, as I love them on my dinner plate. This resent closure of MA13 frustrates me a little as I'm surely not going to impact the fishery, fly fishing from the beach as I was planning on doing tomarrow. As far as the clipping goes, I've noticed that a lot of the Silvers I've landed this Winter and Spring are not clipped.
It used to be that a clipped fish meant that it was raised for the pleasure of the recreational fisherman and that an un-clipped fish was a wild species and was to be treated gently aka barbless hooks. Now it seems that an un- clipped fish, at least an un-clipped Silver, means reserved for tribal use only. No way are these cookie cutter Silvers, down here in deep MA13, wild fish.
Well, thanks for letting me vent, I feel much better now...

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts