New “old” toy!

para_adams

Ah...you guys who can reel right handed. Why has history played this mean trick and made all ugly modern reels LHW and all the cool vintage reels RHW, LOL!!

et

I seem to keep acquiring vintage reels (but not as cool as Steve's Farlow). I got tired of trying to remember what reel I had on when I was fishing, so I switched all my reels to RHW to make life simpler.

Greg Armstrong

WFF Supporter
That one looks like it's Dingly made.
The check mechanism looks kind of “Dingleyesh”, there’s no “D” stamp that I can see though.

I know you like the Young’s reels (as I do as well), but are you seeing anything that indicates it might not be made by them?

I have the Dingley book at home and will see if it can tell us more .

That’s a very cool and an early reel ,regardless of who made it Steve!

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
WFF Supporter
The check mechanism looks kind of “Dingleyesh”, there’s no “D” stamp that I can see though.

I know you like the Young’s reels (as I do as well), but are you seeing anything that indicates it might not be made by them?

I have the Dingley book at home and will see if it can tell us more .

That’s a very cool and an early reel ,regardless of who made it Steve!
Young puts the retaining screw on the same side as the handle. And the way the gear is attached. Not all of his reels were stamped with the capital D.

I'm pretty sure those wedge drag reels were made by Young.

Greg Armstrong

WFF Supporter
I did a thorough search through both the Dingley as well as the Youngs reel books that I have, and did not locate a "Perfect" clone reel with that check that's on Steve's beautiful little reel.

Farlows did make some of their own reels (and also purchased some from Young as well as others and put their own stamp on them). Perhaps Steve's was actually made by Farlows then?

The BWP reel (according to Young expert "Bulldog" on the Classic site) was made by Young for Farlows and was made for the New Zealand market. Here's a thread with everything anyone might want to learn about that reel...

Last edited:

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts