Summer Steelhead 2021

O' Clarkii Stomias

Main Clearwater B's were/are big, but the middle and south fork salmon B's were ginormous! Wished I could of tangled with some North Fork CW B's. Dworshak happened before my steelhead days.

ianpadron

Regardless of fish numbers, you'll find me and my youthful enthusiasm up and down the Sky and its forks all summer. If you see a fella in his 20s with an ear to ear grin and 2 dogs that identify as beavers, come say hi, none of us bite and we love hearing about the good 'ol days.

Last edited:

Hillbilly Redneck

wishin i was fishin
Does anybody have intel on whether it will be legal to swing a fly on the N.F Stilly this summer?

I copied this from WDFW email.
"There will be no salmon fishing in the Stillaguamish River in 2021, and instead there will be a game fish fishery"

long_rod_silvers

WFF Supporter
Does anybody have intel on whether it will be legal to swing a fly on the N.F Stilly this summer?

I copied this from WDFW email.
"There will be no salmon fishing in the Stillaguamish River in 2021, and instead there will be a game fish fishery"
Steelhead are considered game fish, so I think the answer is going to be yes.

Salmo_g

WFF Supporter
A friend told me (so I haven't looked it up since the regs won't be out for a month or more) that it opens Sept. 15, and WDFW is so proud to be offering a "summer" season on the Stilly. Pardon my sarcasm, but I'm in the camp of if WDFW isn't going to manage recreational stream fishing, why do we even need the Department. We just fish when the PS tribes say we can.

ianpadron

A friend told me (so I haven't looked it up since the regs won't be out for a month or more) that it opens Sept. 15, and WDFW is so proud to be offering a "summer" season on the Stilly. Pardon my sarcasm, but I'm in the camp of if WDFW isn't going to manage recreational stream fishing, why do we even need the Department. We just fish when the PS tribes say we can.
I think it's time for an Occupy Stilly movement.

The remnant Chinook fishery they are supposedly protecting isn't coming back, not that a bunch of dudes skating flies pose any risk to salmon anyway...

Smalma

iampadron-
While in principle I agree that fly fishing skating dry flies during July and August (prime dry fly time for the Deer Creek fish (no longer any hatchery summer runs) that harsh reality is that history has consistently demonstrated during that critical period for the Chinook that so-call fly fishers (and yes even some guides) could nearly daily be found targeting those Chinook. With that knowledge it is hard to argue that under current regulations and fishing practices that a game fish season during July and August would not have impacts on those Chinook.

With some personal knowledge of the NF Stillaguamish fishery, the Occupy Skagit effort and the nearly decade long battle to maintain our game fish on our PS rivers I feel I can state with confidence that the fly fishing community as a whole has to shoulder some of the blame in our lack of opportunity. We have not cleaned up our sport, are not willing to invest time in assuring the future of our fishery, etc. While it has become common for most fly fishers to feel entitled to their fishing the harsh reality has long been that opportunity was fought for and secured by a precious few individuals. Clearly that small effort was not enough to keep those opportunities and it will now be difficult to recapture those fisheries.

In recent years given the lack of even minimal engagement from the fly fishing community in the NOF process on behalf of those game fish season I just don't see the energy needed for any chance of an Occupy Stilly having success.

Curt

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts