Fly Fishing during Lower Lena Lake backpacking trip?

Galaga

In two weekends, I'm going on my very first backpacking trip. I'm also brand new to any type of fly fishing.

Do you guys think Lower Lena Lake could be a place that someone could catch some fish in mid May?

Last edited:

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
WFF Supporter
I've caught fish in an alpine lake with a 3.9 meter T-rod and 4 meter level line. It helped that it wasn't long after meltoff, it was late afternoon on a sunny day, there was a lot of nearshore insect activity in the air and on the surface of the water, and there was a downslope breeze that was blowing the fish's prey to me and also causing ripples on the water helping to hide my presence so the fish would come close enough. I've also fished mid-morning with a 3.9 meter rod and a 6 meter level line on a sunny day with no wind and watched as fish were actively feeding about 30'-35' out; just a bit farther out than I could cast.

Last edited:

Brian Miller

WFF Supporter
Are you sure it’s ice-free? How much snow will you have to hike thru?

sorry haven’t fished it before.
Good point! It's only at 1800 feet but the Gaia FreshSat imagery from 4/25 is totally washed out from snow, er probably clouds.

Last edited:

Salmo_g

WFF Supporter
It's been a long while, but my recollection is that there is not a lot of fly fishable shoreline, so if you have a packraft or float tube to get out on the water you will likely fare better. Can't remember if the lake has cutthroat or brook trout, but they are small and should be hungry, and therefore catchable.

Brian Miller

WFF Supporter
It's been a long while, but my recollection is that there is not a lot of fly fishable shoreline, so if you have a packraft or float tube to get out on the water you will likely fare better. Can't remember if the lake has cutthroat or brook trout, but they are small and should be hungry, and therefore catchable.
No stocking history on the WDFW Lena Lakr webpage but...

Species you might catch​

and early season so I agree with catchable from shore.

Last edited:

Lance Magnuson

WFF Supporter
In two weekends, I'm going on my very first backpacking trip. I'm also brand new to any type of fly fishing.

Do you guys think Lower Lena Lake could be a place that someone could catch some fish in mid May?
I think you’re pushing your luck for ice free in 2 weeks. Wolcott indicates lake was stocked with rainbow, cutthroat and eastern brook. But you may be fishing only ice free margins.

Gyrfalcon21

Most of the lakes in the eastern front are planted infrequently or self reproduce..mostly stunted small brook trout populations. That is a pretty big lake and the trailhead is packed almost yearround. Most crowded trail on the coast.
Weekend or nice weather in May, you may be parking far down the road, the big lot fills up easily.

It was like this from 80's on with higher lakes/trails snowed in.

Ice out always a favorite time to fish mt lakes. Learn roll casting down the road for tight alpine backcasting and you can do well anywhere!

Last edited:

Go Fish

Language, its a virus
There is very few areas on Lena that would
allow a back cast. I would go with terminal
gear unless you have a float tube. It is a short
hike but it is all steep uphill. Make sure you have good
sturdy boots, rain gear, and water.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts