Trip Report Took my 5yo Euro Nymphing

MGTom

Living at the place of many waters
WFF Supporter
Good for you dad! I think fly rods are easier for kids. One grandson is a bit younger and we're playing indicators, and if I don't get this one away from his dad he'll be throwing crank baits and plastics soon.

Attachments

• 20210426_170054.jpg
    20210426_170054.jpg
    998.7 KB · Views: 14

Jake

veni, vidi, fishi
Good for you dad! I think fly rods are easier for kids. One grandson is a bit younger and we're playing indicators, and if I don't get this one away from his dad he'll be throwing crank baits and plastics soon.
That's fantastic! So many grandparents don't engage their grandchildren in the outdoors, or at all.

Old Man

A very Old Man
WFF Supporter
I have no patience with kids of any age. The last I was with was when I still worked. I took a buddy out after work and he had to take his kids with him. All they did was complain. The sun is hot, the flies all bite me. I'm in the trees again, I can't cast this rod. That went on for over an hour. I told my buddy that I'm through with kids and fishing. We got all the junk together and I took him home. This is one of the reasons why I fish alone.

Jake

veni, vidi, fishi
I have no patience with kids of any age. The last I was with was when I still worked. I took a buddy out after work and he had to take his kids with him. All they did was complain. The sun is hot, the flies all bite me. I'm in the trees again, I can't cast this rod. That went on for over an hour. I told my buddy that I'm through with kids and fishing. We got all the junk together and I took him home. This is one of the reasons why I fish alone.
Well, I’m sure sorry you had such a bad experience that it colored your experience of all kids. I once came across an old man that seemed to like yelling at the clouds. Fortunately it didn’t cause me to dislike all older folks.

I have to say, though, that your comment/experience also doesn’t really fit my kid. O has yet to complain while fishing. After fishing dawn-to-dusk in the cold Pacific Northwest November rain, on the Puget Sound, his only gripe was that we stopped when it got dark.

Last edited:

Old Man

A very Old Man
WFF Supporter
Well, I’m sure sorry you had such a bad experience that it colored your experience of all kids. I once came across an old man that seemed to like yelling at the clouds. Fortunately it didn’t cause me to dislike all older folks.

I have to say, though, that your comment/experience also doesn’t really fit my kid. O has yet to complain while fishing. After fishing dawn-to-dusk in the cold Pacific Northwest November rain, on the Puget Sound, his only gripe was that we stopped when it got dark.
I'm not against you taking your kids out. This was my experience with kids. I prefer to fish alone. I can come and go when ever the mood to quit or start hits me. More power to you for taking a child out fishing.

Jake

veni, vidi, fishi
I'm not against you taking your kids out. This was my experience with kids. I prefer to fish alone. I can come and go when ever the mood to quit or start hits me. More power to you for taking a child out fishing.
Oh, no worries and certainly no hard feelings on my part. I was just having a bit of fun.

I hear you on fishing alone. I would have a very hard time being a guide. Aside from a complete lack of ability on my part, I also would have a hard time dealing with all the random folks and personalities with a smile on my face.

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Supporter
I hear you on fishing alone. I would have a very hard time being a guide. Aside from a complete lack of ability on my part, I also would have a hard time dealing with all the random folks and personalities with a smile on my face.

Same....

Although for me, the only ones I'd have a problem with (and the ones I meet on the river who I just can't stand) are the ones who think far too highly of their own ability and don't hesitate to let anyone within earshot know of their exploits (it's a little like IG "influencers"). I go by the old adage, if a person tells you who they are, believe them.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts