What's your favorite Hopper pattern?

Swimmy

Morrish as has been mentioned already or the Thunder Thighs.

thunder-thighs-hopper-yellow.jpg

Dustin Bise

reformed hot-spotter
rainys grand hopper size 12 pink

not even another contender for me.

it floats FOREVER, with no maintence.

and its pink.... whats not to love?

Dustin Bise

reformed hot-spotter
second place is easy, but not what ur looking for. a daves hopper tied on an extra heavy shank, full lead wire wraps, and size 8. people dont fish sunken hoppers through heavy water enough. a muddler dead drifted deep is good to, but the DAVES is basically just a muddler in hopper drag.

MGTom

Living at the place of many waters
WFF Supporter
second place is easy, but not what ur looking for. a daves hopper tied on an extra heavy shank, full lead wire wraps, and size 8. people dont fish sunken hoppers through heavy water enough. a muddler dead drifted deep is good to, but the DAVES is basically just a muddler in hopper drag.
I fish that stimulator sunk quite a bit. I often don't bother dressing it and if it sinks I just fish it wet, then as a stripped streamer. I figure a real one could be anywhere in the water.

Last edited:

Jack Devlin

Letort Hopper: easy to tie effective pattern. Daves Hopper: great pattern. Morrish Hopper: fun as heck to make albeit a bit complicated and expensive. An effective pattern.

Last edited:

Trout Trekker

What's your favorite hopper pattern and why?
Mix of easy (ish) to tie, productivity and looks.
tim
Welcome to Hopperopolis.

HOPPEROPOLIS 2_resize.jpg

Waves of Hoppers stirred by each footstep.

Hopperopolis 1.jpg

For me, typically I fish a trude wing bullet head.
It's simple to tie and easy to repair when ( not if ) the head or legs get chewed and even in failing light, you can see it from a mile away.

Hopperopolis 2.jpg

I've tied and tried pretty much every one of the old standbys over the years and a few of the newer versions, in the end what I've found is that when your hatches are as heavy as ours and they go on for several months, its not so much a specific pattern ( Schroeders, Daves, Letort etc. ) as it is the presentation, size then color. Any of the standards work fairly well here, even better if the angler ahead of you hasn't blown up the water in the last fifteen minutes with the same dressing you're using.

As our hopper season progresses, the fish get so inundated with the typical hopper splat cast to the upwind bank that they'll more often than not ignore a fly pattern presented in that fashion. That and if you've had the chance to fish over swarms of hoppers for a few decades, you'll come to the conclusion that very few hoppers splat down and most struggle very little. Cold water almost immediately chills the hopper and if you've ever tried to sneak up on grasshoppers to catch them by hand, you'll come to the realization that it's a whole lot easier to catch hoppers in the chill of the morning air than it is in the afternoon heat.

Every pattern I've seen in this thread so far would work here, to varying degrees, mostly due to size and color.

Last edited:

mcswny

Do you have a sbs thread for the first one?
this should get you there.

mcswny

Welcome to Hopperopolis.

View attachment 280904

Waves of Hoppers stirred by each footstep.

View attachment 280902

For me, typically I fish a trude wing bullet head.
It's simple to tie and easy to repair when ( not if ) the head or legs get chewed and even in failing light, you can see it from a mile away.

View attachment 280903

I've tied and tried pretty much every one of the old standbys over the years and a few of the newer versions, in the end what I've found is that when your hatches are as heavy as ours and they go on for several months, its not so much a specific pattern ( Schroeders, Daves, Letort etc. ) as it is the presentation, size then color. Any of the standards work fairly well here, even better if the angler ahead of you hasn't blown up the water in the last fifteen minutes with the same dressing you're using.

As our hopper season progresses, the fish get so inundated with the typical hopper splat cast to the upwind bank that they'll more often than not ignore a fly pattern presented in that fashion. That and if you've had the chance to fish over swarms of hoppers for a few decades, you'll come to the conclusion that very few hoppers splat down and most struggle very little. Cold water almost immediately chills the hopper and if you've ever tried to sneak up on grasshoppers to catch them by hand, you'll come to the realization that it's a whole lot easier to catch hoppers in the chill of the morning air than it is in the afternoon heat.

Every pattern I've seen in this thread so far would work here, to varying degrees, mostly due to size and color.
thats a beautiful stretch of water.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts