Trip Report Molokai Bonefish

A quick trip report from my day on Molokai with Captain Clay - http://hallelujahhoufishing.com/captain-clay/

In the last year I got married, bought a house, have a baby on the way and due to the pandemic my wife and I have had no chance to celebrate. Life keeps moving fast but she finally put her foot down and said we had to go on a babymoon. I personally dont believe in a babymoon but i strongly support trips to warm weather if they dont interfere with duck season and there is the opportunity to fish.
Once she picked maui and i realized that the opportunity for trophy bonefish was just an island away, I gave Capt Clay a call and we set up a trip.
I had never been to Hawaii before and wasnt quite sure what was in store for me. The Island of Maui wasnt quite my speed but being able to branch out on a quick flight to Molokai was awesome. There arent the resorts and golf courses that Maui has, but they do have flats and thats way more important. And not only do they have great flats, hardly anyone else is out there. I think we saw 1 boat and 2 surfers. a far cry from the splash and giggle crowd in Lahaina.
For anyone that thinks of doing this themselves a couple of items to note. You dont have to get to the airport early for a trip from Maui to Molokai. Me being a first timer showed up with plenty of time. Like 2 hours. I wasnt going to miss this flight but it might have been a bit excessive. Now I did have to jump through the hoops of the travel Hawaii site and QR codes which was really easy but another step. Clay had the taxi pick me up at the airport - about $30 each way to the docks - and i was able to step off the plane, in a cab and onto his flats boat. Super service!
I have to say that Clay is just a great guy to fish with. Fun to talk to and knowledgeable about the history of area he calls home. He has great appreciation for the resource, opportunity and the place in which he lives. He is a luck guy to be on those flats every day.
We didnt fish the huge white sand and turtle grass flats that you might think of with bonefish, but rather narrow channels and pockets around coral heads, and rocky out croppings. It is a tough place on gear and if i took my own stuff i would make sure to bring extra lines... maybe a few of them!
The fish themselves were great fun once i figured it out. There was certainly a learning curve for me on how to adjust from my SRC approach and slowly swim a shrimp away from a bonefish. And bonefish werent all... i hooked a barracuda and several small blue fin trevally as well.
I;d highly recommend the trip to Molokai for anyone that happens to find themselves on a babymoon on Maui. I just need to figure out how to get the trip to actually be to The Friendly Island next time.

Final Stats- we were 2 for 6 on bones. Had a couple hooks bend out. Landed 3 Small trevalle - busted off a couple in the coral heads. Lost the one cuda I hooked and thoroughly enjoyed my day!

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-04-30 at 7.52.38 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-04-30 at 7.52.38 PM.jpeg
    169.1 KB · Views: 117
  • WhatsApp Image 2021-04-29 at 6.39.02 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-04-29 at 6.39.02 PM.jpeg
    79.6 KB · Views: 119

long_rod_silvers

WFF Supporter
What a cool trip!! There's also a ferry that leaves out of lahaina if you're not wanting to fly from Maui into Moloka'i. We did a DIY a while back, took the ferry and rented kayaks from the lodge there on the east side of the island.

D3Smartie

Clay is a great guy. Molokai bones are big and hungry. The winds are very strong there. It is best to fish a low tide early in the morning. Congrats on getting a Hawaiian boner.
Most importantly hungry. I had great conditions. It's easy to see how one could go from hero to zero there really quickly

Chucker

Chucking a dead parrot on a piece of string!
Most importantly hungry. I had great conditions. It's easy to see how one could go from hero to zero there really quickly

2 for 6 is a stellar day for anywhere in Hawaii. Being there on the right day is part of the skill!

Merle

I’m heading to the big island Saturday, hoping to connect with a Boner, but will be happy if I can just catch a few Trevally / Papio.

is Capt Clay the same Clay that runs Nervous Waters fly shop in Honolulu?

Andy

Attachments

• 0062DF43-1B3E-4D88-B04B-65DC238006AD.jpeg
    0062DF43-1B3E-4D88-B04B-65DC238006AD.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 21

Grayone

Fishin' to the end, Oc.P
WFF Supporter
A quick trip report from my day on Molokai with Captain Clay - http://hallelujahhoufishing.com/captain-clay/

In the last year I got married, bought a house, have a baby on the way and due to the pandemic my wife and I have had no chance to celebrate. Life keeps moving fast but she finally put her foot down and said we had to go on a babymoon. I personally dont believe in a babymoon but i strongly support trips to warm weather if they dont interfere with duck season and there is the opportunity to fish.
Once she picked maui and i realized that the opportunity for trophy bonefish was just an island away, I gave Capt Clay a call and we set up a trip.
I had never been to Hawaii before and wasnt quite sure what was in store for me. The Island of Maui wasnt quite my speed but being able to branch out on a quick flight to Molokai was awesome. There arent the resorts and golf courses that Maui has, but they do have flats and thats way more important. And not only do they have great flats, hardly anyone else is out there. I think we saw 1 boat and 2 surfers. a far cry from the splash and giggle crowd in Lahaina.
For anyone that thinks of doing this themselves a couple of items to note. You dont have to get to the airport early for a trip from Maui to Molokai. Me being a first timer showed up with plenty of time. Like 2 hours. I wasnt going to miss this flight but it might have been a bit excessive. Now I did have to jump through the hoops of the travel Hawaii site and QR codes which was really easy but another step. Clay had the taxi pick me up at the airport - about $30 each way to the docks - and i was able to step off the plane, in a cab and onto his flats boat. Super service!
I have to say that Clay is just a great guy to fish with. Fun to talk to and knowledgeable about the history of area he calls home. He has great appreciation for the resource, opportunity and the place in which he lives. He is a luck guy to be on those flats every day.
We didnt fish the huge white sand and turtle grass flats that you might think of with bonefish, but rather narrow channels and pockets around coral heads, and rocky out croppings. It is a tough place on gear and if i took my own stuff i would make sure to bring extra lines... maybe a few of them!
The fish themselves were great fun once i figured it out. There was certainly a learning curve for me on how to adjust from my SRC approach and slowly swim a shrimp away from a bonefish. And bonefish werent all... i hooked a barracuda and several small blue fin trevally as well.
I;d highly recommend the trip to Molokai for anyone that happens to find themselves on a babymoon on Maui. I just need to figure out how to get the trip to actually be to The Friendly Island next time.

Final Stats- we were 2 for 6 on bones. Had a couple hooks bend out. Landed 3 Small trevalle - busted off a couple in the coral heads. Lost the one cuda I hooked and thoroughly enjoyed my day!
That is a killer number on bones. Molokai is really tough. Clay has it dialed in. Normally wind and clouds screw things up. Fish are really deep compared to most bonefish locations. Lots of mud in the flats. Again, great trip.

SilverFly

Awesome report. Almost made the same side trip on our family vacation back in 2016, but Capt Clay advised against it due to crappy tides on the only days I could make it. Moloka'i intrigues me though, and not just for bones. Sounds about my speed, not crowded and good fishing. I also hear a lot about Moloka'i from a friend from work who is from the island. Apparently everyone knows everyone else. And if she is any indicator, it must be a very friendly island. I'd probably have less trouble losing weight if we worked on different shifts. I'll often find a container of poke or something else delicious at my desk. "Oh, I had extra!"

DimeBrite

5X Celebrity Jeopardy Champion
Awesome report. Almost made the same side trip on our family vacation back in 2016, but Capt Clay advised against it due to crappy tides on the only days I could make it. Moloka'i intrigues me though, and not just for bones. Sounds about my speed, not crowded and good fishing. I also hear a lot about Moloka'i from a friend from work who is from the island. Apparently everyone knows everyone else. And if she is any indicator, it must be a very friendly island. I'd probably have less trouble losing weight if we worked on different shifts. I'll often find a container of poke or something else delicious at my desk. "Oh, I had extra!"

Bonefishing on Molokai must have been a very well kept secret when it was still a leper colony. I'm glad the local people have shunned to large tourist developments that have ruined other islands in Hawaii.

SilverFly

Bonefishing on Molokai must have been a very well kept secret when it was still a leper colony. I'm glad the local people have shunned to large tourist developments that have ruined other islands in Hawaii.

Hope it stays that way - doubt it though. As much as I'd like to catch a steelhead sized Hawaiian bone, the rugged/remote North side (where the leper colony is) looks hella interesting. It's probably fished out, but reeks of 12wt territory looking at it on googly Earth. Bet it was incredible for GT's and God knows what else at one time. Maybe even near shore pelagics?

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts