Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Air Brushing Popper Heads with Sharpies

4K views 26 replies 14 participants last post by  Batt B 
#1 ·
Anyone have any experience with this method? Looks intriguing as I have a mountain of colored sharpies at home....
My main question is if it can make a wide/soft enough pattern as the demo makes it look like it only does narrow/sharp spray pattern.

#6 · (Edited)
I have been using the duster method with COPIC markers...It works alright if you're just making a few poppers but I wouldn't recommend this method in the long run.

The cans of duster get ice cold real fast even with short bursts. Once the can gets chilly the air flow is drastically decreased leaving you waiting for the can to warm back up. You really need a handful of duster cans to cycle through.

I found that there's quite a bit of a learning curve with this method and in turn trashed a handful of my first popper heads. I would recommend the airbrush kit if you plan on making poppers regularly!

The poppers in the photos were made with the duster and COPIC marker method and finished with Loon's "Soft Head" for a glossy and durable finish.

Attachments

#7 ·
I have been using the duster method with COPIC markers...It works alright if you're just making a few poppers but I wouldn't recommend this method in the long run. The cans of duster get ice cold real fast even with short bursts. Once the can gets chilly the air flow is drastically decreased leaving you waiting for the can to warm back up. You really need a handful of duster cans to cycle through. I would recommend the airbrush kit if you plan on making poppers regularly!
Thanks! Very helpful!

#12 ·
I tried this. Definitely a learning curve as mentioned above. But, I liked the results and will likely try and continue with this. That is until I can convince my wife that my 12 year old aspiring artist son needs an airbrush set, hahahaha!
View attachment 281136 View attachment 281137 View attachment 281138 View attachment 281139
Those turned out great! Let me know how that conversation with the wife goes. Going to need to take notes cause I may be having the same one soon.....

#15 ·
Kinda fond of nail polish, myself. Infinite colors, metallics, etc.
I figure my lack of artistic finesse is matched by the lack of discretion generally demonstrated by hungry bass.
Sally Hanson InstaDry only takes a minute to dry to the touch. The clear coat is also good for a quick brush over any UV resin that still feels tacky or greasy*.
Bait Purple Beak Feather Toy

20200827_174317.jpg

*Note: Don't use nail polish to top coat over Sharpie-colored heads! Some of them will dissolve marker and mess up both your popper and the nail brush.

Attachments

#16 ·
Kinda fond of nail polish, myself. Infinite colors, metallics, etc.
I figure my lack of artistic finesse is matched by the lack of discretion generally demonstrated by hungry bass.
Sally Hanson InstaDry only takes a minute to dry to the touch. The clear coat is also good for a quick brush over any UV resin that still feels tacky or greasy*.
View attachment 282174
View attachment 282168
*Note: Don't use nail polish to top coat over Sharpie-colored heads! Some of them will dissolve marker and mess up both your popper and the nail brush.
yep, using sharpies at the moment, and sally hansen definitely doesn't work!
thanks for the tip, will pick up some polishes and see how that goes.
wife probably wouldn't appreciate me appropriating some of hers!

Reactions: Northern
#21 ·
Speaking of volatile solvents, I once thought about buying spraymax 2k clear to paint a rod blank.

Read up and researched well on how to use it safely.

Long story short, I decided I'm not touching the stuff. Super nasty. I recommend anyone short of a professional in a professional environment with proper safety equipment steer far clear from 2k clears.

Perhaps one could paint a bunch of popper boddies and talk a local automotive body shop to spray them on their next job. They're usually spraying clear daily and can only assume there is some waste for each job.

The YouTube videos of people using that stuff with basically dust masks is alarming.

#27 ·
Check out this mutant screw up double barrel popper. My first time tying a popper and so I grabbed what spray paint I had in the garage. Pretty slim pickings. I was trying to layer black and gold, or maybe re-do what I wasn't happy with, grabbed the heat gun that was just sitting there to try to quick dry the paint in between layers. Whoops.

Wood Natural foods Gesture Finger Nail

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.