Washington state climate policy

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottybs

I congratulate you. Back in the late 60s there was one brave politician who sponsored a bill to cap dependent exemptions at "2". Of course he was ostracized for such progressive thinking.
No... let’s make it simple. Their should be no tax deductions/credits for having children, just like their should be none for having an EV. Capeesh?

Last edited:

Salmo_g

WFF Supporter
What? It's the truth. If they cared they would clean it up.. just like we are..
Yes Rob, China cares more about economic (and political power) growth than it cares about the environment. And sorta' like the U.S., China is improving some of its environmental practices while at the same time pursuing greater economic growth for its people. However, that doesn't make the per capita carbon footprint irrelevant. That is because with its enormous human population its total carbon footprint is huge even while its per capita footprint is half that of the U.S. Now, if China had a human population the size of Ireland, with its current per capita carbon footprint, China wouldn't even be on the list of countries causing significant pollution. So you need to also consider the per capita carbon footprint, and then considering that China's per capita and total footprint would be only a fraction of what it is if it weren't producing industrial and manufacturing goods for most of the western world. I'm not excusing China for its pollution contribution, but all these factors are relevant when you're analyzing how to go about reducing individual and total pollution.

Rob Allen

Yes Rob, China cares more about economic (and political power) growth than it cares about the environment. And sorta' like the U.S., China is improving some of its environmental practices while at the same time pursuing greater economic growth for its people. However, that doesn't make the per capita carbon footprint irrelevant. That is because with its enormous human population its total carbon footprint is huge even while its per capita footprint is half that of the U.S. Now, if China had a human population the size of Ireland, with its current per capita carbon footprint, China wouldn't even be on the list of countries causing significant pollution. So you need to also consider the per capita carbon footprint, and then considering that China's per capita and total footprint would be only a fraction of what it is if it weren't producing industrial and manufacturing goods for most of the western world. I'm not excusing China for its pollution contribution, but all these factors are relevant when you're analyzing how to go about reducing individual and total pollution.

I do not believe the Chinese government gives a rip about the economic welfare of it's people.. just like most of the American government doesn't.

Salmo_g

WFF Supporter
I do not believe the Chinese government gives a rip about the economic welfare of it's people.. just like most of the American government doesn't.
As individuals who are not power brokers in the CP, you're probably right. But as a national population it does, for many of the same reasons the US gov't. wants American affluence. Affluence supports a gov't. that can project power internationally. As more Chinese enter the middle and even upper economic classes, the CCP (Chinese Communist Party) becomes more powerful on the international scene. China's improved economic status is what has allowed a formerly pretty backwards nation to buy major influence in the natural resources and economies of South American and African nations. Money = power, so the Chinese gov't. is very interested in improving the economic status of its citizens collectively. But individual Chinese citizens are expendable, just like individual Americans, only more so since Chinese have no constitutional protections.

Swimmy

Practice your craft.
WFF Supporter
Don't waste your time Salmo...
It's pointless, the pig and the wrestling and the mud....right ?
;)

I disagree.

A different perspective is more interesting than the WFF group think we typically get.

Rob has grown on me. He has no problem giving his opinion, no matter how unpopular. I respect that.

Rage Against the Machine.
VPKvC26F_o.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts