Two is better than one...

PezVela

My go to boat when I'm fishing with my 5 year old grandson is a Scadden 10.5' Skykomis-Sunrise with a chair mounted on the back deck. My other grandkid is 3 and dearly wants to fish with the boys, so I mounted another seat.. with seat belts. Now I need to figure out how to keep the fights down to a minimum, on who catches the fish! IMG_1986 (1).jpeg IMG_5934 (1).jpeg

Matt B

WFF Supporter
That’s pretty cool and looks more fun than a barrel of 3 year olds, but I’m not so sure about seat belts. I mean, you probably won’t flip, but...

PezVela

That’s pretty cool and looks more fun than a barrel of 3 year olds, but I’m not so sure about seat belts. I mean, you probably won’t flip, but...
I thought about that before I put the belts on.. The pontoon boat is rated for class 4 rapids according to Dave, (I've run Clarno on it, a class 3) ...so I'm thinking it's very stable. The boys are more likely to push one another in, before the raft flips over on a lake. And of course, they wear life jackets.

Matt B

WFF Supporter
I thought about that before I put the belts on.. The pontoon boat is rated for class 4 rapids according to Dave, (I've run Clarno on it, a class 3) ...so I'm thinking it's very stable. The boys are more likely to push one another in, before the raft flips over on a lake. And of course, they wear life jackets.
Oh I am sure that’s true. In which case you would pluck him out, the day is less fun but everyone is okay, and I would bet it doesn’t happen again, at least not because of fooling around. Every kid is different though. Have fun out there!

Buzzy

You could always get another boat - two boats: not enough, two grandsons: a blessing. Have fun!!

Freestone

WFF Supporter
Great boat! One suggestion to improve the kids’ safety though as accidents happen when and where we least expect them. In the extremely rare chance that the boat flips, I would use a quick release belt and teach them how to use them. Swiftwater PFD’s (see below) and the kayaking tow belts have a quick release belt with a red ball so that the belt buckle can be quickly located and released. You might consider using this kind of “seat belt” (or retrofitting the ones you used.) When it is warmer, you might have the boys practice in the water and make a game of holding their breath, ducking under the water and releasing the belt. Again, I understand that it is unlikely that you’ll flip but I have worn my seatbelt for decades, just in case, and never had an accident (knock on wood). I hope that both boys have a blast fishing with Grandpa!!!

C4877BBE-3894-443A-9940-D7CE8B4A4340.jpeg
CE9D0A04-07D2-424C-82BC-63EFBE0A4F61.jpeg

PezVela

You could always get another boat - two boats: not enough, two grandsons: a blessing. Have fun!!
Here's my fleet .. not to mention a couple float tubes. My daughter has a pool, (it's heated) ..so the boys are already pretty good swimmers. I'll put the boat with the extra seats in to pool soon and have them jumping in/falling off, and climbing back on. It will be interesting to see if I can get back on wearing waders and fins... never tried it.

Attachments

• IMG_3637.jpeg
    IMG_3637.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_5833.jpeg
    IMG_5833.jpeg
    5.6 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_3561.jpeg
    IMG_3561.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 25

MGTom

Living at the place of many waters
WFF Supporter
Here's my fleet .. not to mention a couple float tubes. My daughter has a pool, (it's heated) ..so the boys are already pretty good swimmers. I'll put the boat with the extra seats in to pool soon and have them jumping in/falling off, and climbing back on. It will be interesting to see if I can get back on wearing waders and fins... never tried it.
Neat. Great job training, we do stuff like that too, in the river and off the boat, and the kids all started swim lessons before they could walk. So much fun stuff is by the water.
I need to see a hookup from the swan!!!!! :)

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info