Using dinghy wheels (or a cheap trailer?)

Josh

dead in the water
WFF Moderator
So I've got a little 12ft aluminum but no trailer (using either a little minn kota or a 3.5 kicker). No, it isn't a super heavy boat, but it's also not something I can load/unload myself. Has anyone ever used a set of fold-up dinghy wheels like these:

1620343450700.png

How well do they work? I'd be loading it in the back of my truck and wouldn't be rolling it any great distance or over anything rougher than a gravel parking lot.

Alternately, does anyone know where cheap trailers can be found any more? Sadly, Harbor Freight stopped selling their small $350 boat trailer which would have been perfect for this situation.

MD

WFF Premium
My first boat back in the day was a 12 ft Starcraft. I trailered it around on one of these

09295731-55E3-456B-91AD-E66426CE0A07.png
It involved a bit of wood working....or at least that’s how I fit the boat to the trailer. I traced the hull where it would be supported, cut a 2x8 to fit and secured it to the trailer.

It worked for a number of years before I upgraded ( and the trailer rusted away;))

Never used the attachable wheels

Good luck. And don’t blow out your back

Haggis57

I think those 10 inch wheels would work fine for a 12 ft aluminum if you decide to go that route. I've been using a set of 5.5 inch dinghy wheels with my Fish Cat Scout for a couple of years and haven't had any problems on gravel parking lots and launching ramps. Although mine are optimistically rated for 250 lbs, I think my smaller diameter wheels are probably best suited for loads not much over 100lb and for use on consolidated surfaces. I think my load is around 90 lbs with the motor, 35 A-Hr battery and the rest of my crap!

As MD mentioned, protecting the back is priority!

Ken

20200227_114527.jpg

Greg Armstrong

WFF Premium
I had similar flip-up wheels (ours had inflatable tires more like wheel barrow tires) on a 9' zodiac.
I used it to get it up and down the beach from a beach cabin I once owned. They worked really well, even with the weight of the small outboard on the transom. It took a little effort to push the air filled tires back down into the water before coming ashore, but it wasn't bad and the clearance they provided saved the prop.

Scudley Do Right

I sold the boat to Billy but it wasn't light. I used them to roll the boat across the street to the beach. I would have a 7.5hp on it when I did it. They never felt like they were to break.

Josh

dead in the water
WFF Moderator
I sold the boat to Billy but it wasn't light. I used them to roll the boat across the street to the beach. I would have a 7.5hp on it when I did it. They never felt like they were to break.
Yeah, use case for me wouldn't be much more than that length of travel. Across a small parking lot at a lake launch, for example.

Tinker

Feckin eejit
If the Boonedox dingy wheels in your picture are anything like the wheels they use on their C-Tug canoe/kayak cart, I wouldn't use those. I use a C-Tug and it requires constant maintenance to ensure the axles are clean and greased, otherwise the wheel hubs and axles wear quickly.

wareagle

WFF Premium
check out Beachmaster boat wheels. Out of New Zealand. I put the removable ones on my 10' Koffler pram. They work great.

Josh

dead in the water
WFF Moderator
If the Boonedox dingy wheels in your picture are anything like the wheels they use on their C-Tug canoe/kayak cart, I wouldn't use those. I use a C-Tug and it requires constant maintenance to ensure the axles are clean and greased, otherwise the wheel hubs and axles wear quickly.
Interesting. I've done some research into the c-tug for my kayak. but haven't bought one because my homemade one just keeps chugging along. I've seen some of the complaints about the axles. But so many people love the c-tug that I couldn't figure out if those were just people who were pulling their kayaks long distances.

Not sure if these are the same wheels, but they look similar. Axles are maybe different just due to the difference in overall design design? Can't really tell.

TDub

Interesting. I've done some research into the c-tug for my kayak. but haven't bought one because my homemade one just keeps chugging along. I've seen some of the complaints about the axles. But so many people love the c-tug that I couldn't figure out if those were just people who were pulling their kayaks long distances.

Not sure if these are the same wheels, but they look similar. Axles are maybe different just due to the difference in overall design design? Can't really tell.
Off topic, but what kayak did you end up getting?

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts